overflow and circulation questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aziethe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am trying to plan out a 180 mixed reef tank, but I have a few questions to start out.

1. Do I need a protein skimmer right away?

2. What size overflow should I go with? I am going to buy a kit from glass holes dot com. They have multiple sizes and I was wondering if 1500gph was enough, or should I go for the 3000gph model... Or are those too much? What size return should I use?

3. I was thinking about using koralias for circulation. I was hoping to place them on back rather than sides. Is flow additive where I can buy say 4 750's to get about 3k and aim them diff directions? Basically what would work best?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated! Thanks!

1. Do I need a protein skimmer right away?

Not for the first few weeks when you are cycling. It is best to not have a protein skimmer while the tank is working on its cycle. I would definitely recommend one shortly after cycling though. :)

I'd probably go with two 1500gph kits, one for each side. Remember that you'll only overflow what you pump up from the sump, so the idea that you can have too big of an overflow (gph wise) is null and void.

Thanks guys... I wasn't sure on the skimmer deal... As for the overflow(s), I should have figured the return would determine actual flow rate.. It completely escaped me lol.

What about the circulation pumps for current and gas exchange? Would it be better with 2 high powered ones on the sides facing each other or will 4 smaller work on the back?

Back
Top Bottom