Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

if I use the same floor plan as the one in the example and just use a 55 gallon tank instead of 40 gallon then will this be good. I would prefer to over filter rather than under filter especially if I will be building it myself. Does anyone have any suggestions on the floor plan or should I use the same idea he did. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2006, 01:52 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
As far as set up that is how most do it if you want to incorporate a fuge within the sump. Otherwise just use 3 sections. Main thing is to use baffles before the return to keep bubbles out of the main.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

After I priced out the live rock and all the little details it is going to be about the same price as the megaflow. I just want to confirm that it will be a much better filter setup. I am going to be incorporating a fuge as well. What kind of lighting do you recommend for the fuge? Also are there any secrets or pointers that can help me, (noise, bubbles, cleaning, stages) anything will help. I am drawing up a plan I will post it when its done. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:44 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I’m confused. Is this going to be a FOWLR or FO tank? If you are not going to stock the tank with lr then I can better understand why you would want the Mega Flow 4 Sump with the bio-balls for bio-filtration.

Otherwise I assumed you were going to stock the tank with lr and you would naturally want to replace the bio-balls with lr rubble anyways so either way you would be getting lr rubble for your sump. If that’s the case you still should be able to save considerably DIY with the 55 gal tank.

If you priced out buying a 55 gal tank, the baffles and silicone and it still came to as much as the Mega Flow then you are looking at some pretty high prices for the materials IMO.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 05-15-2006, 06:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah you are right I did not consider the price of buying live rock for the megaflow. Is it a lot better to use the live rock instead of bio balls, even with a fuge? Thanks.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
LR beats bioballs. nitrate reduction!

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:15 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

At this time I only have about 70 lbs of live rock, thats .5 lbs a gallon do I still want to use the live rock over the bio balls?

P.S. I am still in the planning stages I do not have an existing system right now. I just want to make sure I do it all right. Also where do you buy live rock rubble? Thanks.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:31 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I would always use lr rubble instead of bio-balls even if you didn’t have any lr in the main tank. As for where to buy I would just get the 30 lbs small base rock from hirocks.com which is $39 shipped. It will build the biological base within a couple of months and cost a whole lot less.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 05-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is 30 lbs enough? I will be using a 55 gallon long tank, I was planning on an area
15"L X 13"W X 15"H will 30 lbs do it? or should I go 60 lbs. After looking I am thinking 60 lbs. Ideas?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

It really depends on how large of an area your first divided part will be (the flow from the overflow)

30 lbs of that rock will fill a 12”X12” area which in my mind is pretty decent even for a 55 gal tank. That leaves you 36” for your skimmer, return area and fuge. (keep in mind that only about 35 gal or roughly 2/3rd of the 55 gal should be filled)

You could always make it larger but having more lr/base rock in the main tank would be more beneficial IMO. The real point of having lr rubble in the sump is to help add to the biological filtration of your lr in the main tank.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank

Tags
flow, flow rate, overflow, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com