Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

overflow box

Hello I'm in the process of doing all the research for saltwater. I had a tank when I was a kid but so much has changed. Right now I just want to know what size of a overflow box I need for a 55? Well how many gph?

Old 10-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

700 gph should do it.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

800gph eshopp overflow, mag 7 pump. Siphon won't break if the flow is right and no need for a aqua lifter like on the CPR models. These two work well together.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

600 GPH CPR Overflow w/ aqualifter pump. Running for about a year no problems at all, Mag 9.5 Return little overkill but it was on sale at the time for like 15 bucks less then the norm. Main reason i went with the stronger up is in case I decided to split it off for any reason. I went with the AC90 Deluxe, incudes the aqua lifter pump and overflow box lid for I think was around 120 from BRS
Old 10-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just a side note unplug my return everyday during feeding time, never once had a problem with the Aqua lifter self prime. With the pump, make sure you keep it clean I had hair algae get sucked inside the aqualifter pump once. Had to remove casing and self pump it till the hair algae popped right out, never a problem since.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap-80 View Post
Hello I'm in the process of doing all the research for saltwater. I had a tank when I was a kid but so much has changed. Right now I just want to know what size of a overflow box I need for a 55? Well how many gph?
As good as HOB overflow boxes may be, have you considered drilling your tank? Gravity to date has not failed us . The HOB overflow boxes all require some sort of pump to start the siphon. If you haven't already, may I suggest taking a look at glass-holes.com? Drilling glass is much easier than it sounds and you'll never have to worry about an overflow problem. Just my $.02.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
As good as HOB overflow boxes may be, have you considered drilling your tank? Gravity to date has not failed us . The HOB overflow boxes all require some sort of pump to start the siphon. If you haven't already, may I suggest taking a look at glass-holes.com? Drilling glass is much easier than it sounds and you'll never have to worry about an overflow problem. Just my $.02.
Agreed. I have a overflow box and live in a constant state of fear. Regret not getting it drilled every day!
CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

What about the tanks that say do not drill
Old 10-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap-80 View Post
If you can't drill your tank do the research a properly design sump with a overflow box and pump will not overflow! Mine always starts up never breaks siphon, power out no big deal starts right up, no aqua lifter need. Eshopp. 800 and mag 7 on a 55 is perfect.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel84 View Post
What about the tanks that say do not drill
Most tanks have a tempered glass bottom but not the sides. You can drill any glass that is not tempered. You can run any overflow with a hole drilled in the side glass. It's pretty easy. I drilled my 210 and it has 1/2" glass. Also drilled a 40B which was much faster and less scary since it was only 40 bucks lol

Tags
flow, overflow, overflow box

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com