Overflow box or tank with built in overflows....post your thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bioteacher

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I am planning a new build somewhere in the 125g-150g range. I am new to saltwater, so I don't have much experience with sumps. I have a freshwater system for zebrafish housing that has overflows and a sump, but that all came as one unit, so I have never built a system piece by piece.

Here's my question: If you were starting from scratch, would you rather have a tank with built in overflows, or would you use a HOB overflow box? What are the pros and cons of either set up? Your opinions are appreciated....

If I felt like doing it again I would drill my tank. Just for peace of mind.
Supra

Drilled is better in every aspect other then the actual drilling of the tank

Piece of mind? Sorry, I'm new to this. Why does an overflow box cause you to worry?

From what I'm told you may lose siphon which would stop your intake. Then your sump would be emptied. Lots of problems to follow. I'm nervous just talking about it. I don't want to jinx myself. I have a DIY overflow.
Supra

Your siphon can break causing you return pump to send your entire sump into your DT flooding it and it cost around 50 bucks to get a tank drilled but you can do it for the cost of the kit that you can order online which it really isn't hard to do as pong as your patient

And just so you know a power outtage even a short flicker can break a siphon

You can get an overflow by CPR. They can be hooked up to a 15 dollar Aqua Lifter pump. This will negate issues with the above stated issues. I run this and have no issues.

Mrc8858 said:
Your siphon can break causing you return pump to send your entire sump into your DT flooding it and it cost around 50 bucks to get a tank drilled but you can do it for the cost of the kit that you can order online which it really isn't hard to do as pong as your patient

I was looking at tanks at the lfs that were already drilled on the bottom with a black plastic baffle. There were two of them set about 1/3 from the right side and 1/3 from the left side

I also run a CPR overflow with the aqualifter pump. The only issue I would have is if the pump gave out, BUT I dont have enough in my return compartment to flood my tank anyways. I keep the water just high enough in the DT so you dont see the water line. I've had this setup almost a year now with no issues whatsoever.

carey said:
I also run a CPR overflow with the aqualifter pump. The only issue I would have is if the pump gave out, BUT I dont have enough in my return compartment to flood my tank anyways. I keep the water just high enough in the DT so you dont see the water line. I've had this setup almost a year now with no issues whatsoever.

Nor do I with the return section, my concern is the pump burning up. Extreme heat! Is there a fail safe for that?
Supra

I would think if the pump stopped at some point there wouldnt be enough water in the tank above the ridges of the overflow box to still drain down to the sump. At least thats how I;ve worked it out. lol

i bought a 125 un-drilled tank and whent to glass-holes.com and bought a drill overflow kit....its surprisingly easy to do and install... this is the option that i would suggest to you. Eliminate yourself of any possible water mishaps would be a wise investment for your expensive hobby!

Back
Top Bottom