Overflow box/ Pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

it512

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Having a overflow box that is rated for 1400GPH can I use a Pump rated for 800GPH?

Or do you need a pump and Overflow box rated the same?

Thanks for you help as always.

with overflows, you want the return pump to be pushing just a little less than the overflow can take out...however imo 600 gallons per hour less than the overflow can pull out may be problematic...you may lose the siphon. But in any case, it will be noisy. I'd put another 500gph on the return...but you dont want them rated to the same...well..once you calculate in the head loss from the pump, then it would actually be less than the overflow if you got a pump rated to the same as it...so that might work now that i think about it (getting them rated to the same that is...)

hth
mike

Thats what I was thinking, I havn't got the pump yet, So I'll just get one rated at about 1600 GPH. That should be good for the Head loss. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

ya and if you find that its still too much, you can add a split somewhere along the return and put one on either end (which i think is a good idea anyways)

Back
Top Bottom