Overflow Box/Return Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesseMessykinn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im looking to make a sump for my 55g upcoming reef, and wondering what would be a good over flow box. Drilling the Tank isnt gonna happen so im looking for a decent overflow box and return pump. Im not sure whats a good flow rate, as in GPH for Both. Please Help! :confused:

Ok so after little reserch Ive come up with a plan for everyone to shoot holes in and tell me whats wrong?

Idea is a 20 Gallon Long DYI Sump with overflow boxes.'

For the Overflow box im looking at this 800GPH - Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes

For the Return Pump im looking at a Mag drive 7 Pushing 700GPH - Aquarium Water Pumps: Supreme Classic Mag Drive Pump

I understand due to gavity im not gonna really get 700GPH but Im really shooting for around 600. How does this look, please give me some ideas and Tips!

I'd add another U tube to the overflow just in case one lose's it's siphon or get an aqua lifter pump

I've never used overflow boxes personally. But I've read on here that the eshopps one isn't great. The CPR model has an aqua lifter pump in it. Pretty sure they have a 600gph model too.

The gph of the return pump is really going to depend on how much head you are giving it. I have a mag drive 9.5 at about 4 feet and I get roughly 600gph

I have esshops overflow running 2 years. Never lost siphon. I start and stop my return pump all the time. Overflow box doesn't miss a beat. No need for aqua lifter pump because of the way the box is setup the U tube is always under water. I also use a mag 9.5 going up about 5 ft.

I have esshops overflow running 2 years. Never lost siphon. I start and stop my return pump all the time. Overflow box doesn't miss a beat. No need for aqua lifter pump because of the way the box is setup the U tube is always under water. I also use a mag 9.5 going up about 5 ft.
Hmmm, Make me wonder. Im All about saving money, and im building this Reef of a Budget. Maybe Ill look into em both some more. Anyone else habe a Esshops Overflow box?

I found mine on eBay CPR replica 600gph and I made my own sump last week 20L on a 55g also. I'm driving my sump with a mag 9.5 running 7ft head

Attachments

• image-1150578033.jpg
    image-1150578033.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2509902223.jpg
    image-2509902223.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 152
Make your own sump/ refug n I'm in the same boat I have a 55 again n not drilled. Get a slimmer build your own sump I'll give you a link on YouTube for it it's easy and as for the overflow boxes I need help with that too lol

I just looked I didn't see the one I got. I did see one like it but it's 1200 gph. It's got a picture with a blue pack ground. The sellers name is Top Dog Sellers

Back
Top Bottom