Overflow / Plumbing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I've spent all day trying to set-up a used 80gal with drilled bottom. The tank came with pvc pipe but no overflow - the pipe just goes straight to the top. I did a freshwater test of everything today and it sounded like a continuous flushing of a toilet. I found information on a standpipe - (http://www.rl180reef.com/180/pages/standpipe/construct.htm), headed to home depot and made some modifications. Now the water level is too low. I can't raise the pipe to raise the water level because there is no room. I will not be able to close my canopy. I plan on keeping a moray so a tight top is high priority.

I'm attaching a couple pics to see illustrate my problem...I'm so aggravated, I'm about 2 seconds from sealing off the bottom and foregoing the sump all together and buying a hang on back protein skimmer. I don't know if anyone has any opinions on how I can get this thing working - but, anything would be a great help and much appreciated. I've invested a lot of money so far and I'm completely aggravated. Anyone want to buy an 80gal tank? :)

- Skinny

Attachments

• plumbing1.jpg
    plumbing1.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,024
  • plumbing2.jpg
    plumbing2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 747
I just setup my fuge with a HOB overflow. I had the noise so I made a modification to quite it down. The problem is it slowed the output of the overflow. This made the water level rise too high for my likeing. I put a ball valve on my return line and slowed down the return flow and the level dropped as I restricted the flow. It seems to me the reverse may worke for you. Try restricting the flow coming out of the tank either by the intake or the line to the sump/fuge. Here is a link to the overflow mod if you are interested.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/domitron2/HGB/HGB_construction.html

The easiest way to solve this would be to buy an internal overflow and silicone it in the tank. What you have looks like a Durso overflow which works well if you have the internal overflow box. If you'll go to the Durso website, there is a link there to a standpipe that's used in boxes that don't have room for the regular Durso setup. I think you might be able to adapt this style to your tank. Or, you could raise the existing overflow up to where your water level is correct and make a plate to go around it out of acrylic or eggcrate. That would keep the eel in.

Do I absolutely NEED an internal overflow? Is this what will prevent me from overfilling my sump in case of a power failure? I haven't filled the tank again, since I built the Durso. If I make a modification you suggest, making a plate to go around it out of acrylic, can I get away without an overflow?

If worse comes to worst (and I get more aggravated), can I forgo the sump intirely and just buy a hob skimmer? Will a skimmer along with adaquate lr and water flow be sufficient for filtration, or would I need to add some kind of mechanical filter?

It would be an 80gal fowlr set-up - eel and a few other fish.

Thanks for all your help.

- SP

Back
Top Bottom