Overflow question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Un5tab1e

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found a 33 long with stand, sump and return pump fairly cheap. This is the drain to the sump. How reliable is this method? uploadfromtaptalk1412173208185.jpg

Is that the sump or the display?
If it is the display then you might want to consider a overflow box or at least a strainer. Not the best way but it should work. if it is the sump then it is how I do my drains.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's the display. It was drilled with this type drain in mind and I think with an overflow box which is how I want to go the water level may sit too low.

No. like this picture. this is the overflow in my 40 breeder with bean animal overflow. box around the pipe. lots of premade boxes you could use online. you might want to drill another hole for a emergency drain. google herbie or bean animal overflows.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 79
Thanks for the pic. I thought the water went through the teeth and the bulk head to an external box that had had the actual drains. I'll have to drill another hole. Sorry I have never used a sump b4

Thanks for the pic. I thought the water went through the teeth and the bulk head to an external box that had had the actual drains. I'll have to drill another hole. Sorry I have never used a sump b4

You can do an external box which is REALLY cool but you still need the internal box. that is the one that controls water level. if you do an external box then the internal box can be VERY thin. google "ghost overflow" for great pics of how that would work.

the best advice I can give you is plan very carefully before you do anything. this is a slow process with GREAT rewards. I rushed my existing 120. it is a great reef but I spent ALOT of money fixing it once it was up. it is much cheaper to do it right once. look at as many options as you can before you make a decision.

Back
Top Bottom