Overflow sponge could cause trates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daney90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Bonjour!, I have a CPR90 that I am currently using in my tank but right now my nitrates is around 40 ppm and I want to bring it down to atleast 20ppm or 10 would be better. My tank has been running for about 2 months now and since then I haven't touched the sponge in the overflow box. Instead of seeing it as a black sponge it has now turned into brownish colour with fish poop and etc.. Any of you guys have/had the same prob? What do I need to do?

Thanks

When you do your weekly water changes just rinse them out in old tank water. Or you can do what i did and just don't use them.

What do you use instead? Does it make a difference not using it?

Btw, I found a video on YouTube where this guy was using a PVC. Don't know if anyone tried that.

I actually use nothing . I have no mechanical filtration on my tank.I just let the skimmer take care of everything .No difference IMO

Same here. No sponges or socks. And my skimmer is off now because I need a new air pump. Just letting the scrubber do some work. But you need to rinse that out atleast once a week. Every other day or every day would be the best because things break den very fast in high flow areas. I would remove if it were me.

Thanks for the replies.

Im planning to remove my when I'm doing my water change this weekend. Without the sponge, would it affect the flow?

No. The overflows suck as much water as the return pumps into the tank so the flow can't change unless you clog something.

crister13 said:
No. The overflows suck as much water as the return pumps into the tank so the flow can't change unless you clog something.

Or the return pump is rated higher than the overflows

Alright. Thanks guys I'll take out the sponge when I'm doing the water change tomorrow. Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom