Overhead clearance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2nicewitit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm in the process of getting all my hardware. Just got my halide light 36", a real beauty though the legs only give a 3" clearnce. It basically covers the entire surface area of the tank thus not leaving me much room for clearance for a hang on skimmer. I was wondering if anyone could recomend a skimmer w/ a very low overhead clearance or be able to provide me w/ a possible solution. Thanks a mil. :confused:

what size tank is it? if it is 30gal or less you could get away with not running one at all you just have to keep up with the PWC, or as most of the people will suggest here go sump.

Tank is a 46 Gal Bow Aquairum. I dont have any room for a sump. Any other sugestions?

Check out my build thread here, starting at post 13, for a simple light hanging solution. Would allow you to get some more clearance in there.

also check out protein skimmers made by octopus or ASM i believe the require little(1/4") to no clearance to take the cup out, they may be an option for you

Tank is a 46 Gal Bow Aquairum. I dont have any room for a sump. Any other sugestions?

I'm guessing the tank has a plastic brace piece across the top in the middle? If so, I'd be nervous about having those MH lights that close to the top for fear of busting that brace. You might consider getting that light a little higher off the tank like neilanh suggested.

Back
Top Bottom