Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2003, 12:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Overskimming. Myth or Reality

Ok so ive heard a lot of people crying about overskimming a tank and personally i think its bs, but id like to get some opinions here. What is the possibility of overskimming a tank?

Old 11-11-2003, 12:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have never heard of it, but then again, I haven't been around long enough to really now. Although, it sounds a lot like the "overfiltering myth" to me.

Old 11-11-2003, 12:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
IMO if you have corals and you don't mind having to supplement trace elements, iodine, strontium etc and keep feeding invert food all the time then skim to your heart's content. True, skimmers remove organic wastes that can breakdown into toxic molecules ie. ammonia and nitrite. IMO skimmers will inevitably remove organisms and compounds from the water column that can be beneficial to cnidarians and other filter feeders. Clams for instance need a source of nitrogen to feed and grow. For the record I run a skimmer 24/7, but I'm not happy about it
Old 11-11-2003, 01:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I personally believe I add enough junk to my tank that I keep a source of nitrogen all the time. FWIW, I believe it is possible, for example if you were to put a ETSS downdraft skimmer rated for 250g tank on my 20g tank, it would strip the water pretty quick, this would lead to a loss of corals, which need a source of nitrogen. If you buy an appropriately sized skimmer, on that process at least 1 and upto 5 or 10 tank volumes per hour, then I do not believe you will overskim your water.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

i agree with reefrunner, as long is the skimming capacity of the skimmer is comparable to the size of the tank- skim on!
Old 11-11-2003, 02:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

here's an interesting reply i got from another board:

Quote:
I've heard all the tales of how a skimmer will "strip your tank clean" of trace elements. The process of water fractionation relies on the hydrophobicity of molecules and their attraction to the water/air interface (i.e. that's why a surface skimmer really helps!!). Water soluble elements should be unaffected by this process....unless the added oxygen to the system helps to "oxidize" unstable trace elements (say Iodine/iodide which is an fairly reactive molecule and therefore unstable)?

As far as I know, skimming removes organic molecules (lipids, proteins, and other biological waste before it breaks down)...... how is that bad?
[/quote]
Old 11-11-2003, 02:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
So in selecting a skimmer size DOES matter 8O Thats why I don't mind having a "crappy" prizm on my 20 gallon. It skims enough for my tastes, if I added one of these $500 super skimmers like some suggest, I might skim my fish right out of the tank. I think it is important to qualify overskimming by saying the skimmer must be appropriately matched to the tank and livestock load of the tank. A skimmer and pump meant for a 200 gallon tank can/will strip much needed nutrients from a 20 gallon tank.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:07 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
And you have to admit...a 6' tall skimmer with a V-8 Chevy powered pump would look silly sitting beside your 20g.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:11 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
And you have to admit...a 6' tall skimmer with a V-8 Chevy powered pump would look silly sitting beside your 20g
And still be less efficient than a cheapy Prizm or Seaclone if the intake and outflow of the 'Chevy' powered skimmer were close to each other as most hang on style skimmers are. Basically they just sit there and churn the same water.

I'm extremely skeptical of tank size ratings for skimmers since a much smaller skimmer that placed in a sump will do a drastically better job than a much larger skimmer that's hung on the back of a tank. The most important thing with a skimmer is that it gets full tank turn over by it's intake/outflow configuration and not just how much water goes through it.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com