Oyster tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No7orious

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How do I grow oysters in a tank, what equipment do I need? I want to make oysters(edible) so I can attempt to sell them to a local sea food shop. I really want to know how to do this but I don't know where to go >_<

You need to contact the US Dept. of Agriculture and I am sure you will be required to apply for various licenses in terms of aquaculture and health restrictions. This is not something to be considered a "fly by night" business as it is quite involved and in order to be successful requires a great deal of money, time, and space...just my opinion :)

I agree, it would take quite a bit of space in order to see a decent return on your investment. "Just for fun"?.....hmmmm, seems like that would be just as fun as watching an oak grow......

Hey! watching an oak grow is fun! its almost as entertaining as watching paint dry!

anyways, you would need a large tank. and excellent filtrtion. and excellent lighting. it wouldnt be cheap, eaither.

A pearl is nothing more than a piece of sand or other irritant that is in the oyster. They will cover the irritant with (can't remember what it's called) and keep adding layers.
I think oysters live deeper and in cooler water as well....I THINK....

Cooler water, yes. Deeper water, not necessarily. The kind we eat are normally just a few feet below the surface. Strong lighting is definitely not required, contrary to what someone earlier said. Probably thinking of the ornamental SW clams. And no... oysters don't take a hundred years to make pearls.

I think of the good oyster beds around me, and I'm thinking "good" filtration isn't necessarily required. They are filter feeders, so "dirty" water (but still chemically clean) is probably a good thing.

UGH...you EAT them!?!?! LOL!
I agree, the water quality definitely doesn't need to be "pristine".
I didn't know they were shallow dwellers, thanks Kurt!

I should state that when I wrote "we", I did NOT necessarily mean the "we" that included "me". :) Guess I meant the "we" as in "those that eat oysters."

I gotta have a LOT of beer in me before oysters hit these lips!

I remember back in the day, I'd go out in our boat with my parents to the "secret spot" and pick oysters at low tide and not even get my ankles wet. That's how shallow they are...

Back
Top Bottom