Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-13-2005, 05:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
painting my tank

I am just in the process of setting up my first tank. i have been told that if i use a standard plastic backing it will look poor because apparently salt gets between the plastic backing and the tank? is this correct.

i have been told that the best way is to paint the tank? i believe i should use some paint mixed with PVA glue, what proportion of mix should i use?

i was looking at painting it black, what does this look like on a reef aquarium?

thepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
I prefer the look of black as opposed to the blue background frequently seen. As for the paint itsels, use a standard water based paint (flat finish).

You can also stick with the backing. If an salt does come between the two, peel it back and clean.

180 gal Acrylic, 250 lbs Fiji/Tonga mix, 3x175 watt MH & 2X96 watt PC, 1/5hp Arctica chiller, EV-180 skimmer
Brown Tang, mated pair Clowns, 4 Fire Gobies, 13 Chromis, Orangespotted Sleeper Goby

Some corals and inverts yet to be identified!
nickthapainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
my tank is going into an alcove in the wall, once its in place i'll have very little access (if any) at the back!

cheers for the help though!

thepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 07:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I have a dark blue gradient backdrop that I affixed with alot of electrical tape. there is no salt creep there.

I have painted a tank with acrylic paints and it works very well.

I prefer the dark blue gradient look to black myself. Both are nice though. What I do not like is the photo backdrops. they look very cheesy and distract from the real focus of your tank. Your fish and your landscaping. Dark blue or black backdrops do not draw the eye and so they fade away, letting your aquascaping and fish be the stars of the tank.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
I just used some oil based rustolem from wal mart and it's great...
Blue in color, gives a good look...
XXFirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a blue background on my tank (not painted), by you can hardly see it from all of the coraline growth on the back wall. Blue, black, picture...eventually, you will not see it anyways.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com