Painting tank backround

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oleson29

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey every one, My husband has started the hobby of anything that has to do with fish. Right now he is wanting to start a reef tank in our 75 gallon bow front tank. ( I believe it's 75) Anyways, I just read on another post about someone painting the back of the tank instead of a background...... What would be some pros and cons to this? Also we have a 60 gallon fresh water tank already going, with a background just taped on. Thank you

I painted the back of my 55reef black. I have a 36 tank that isn't painted. I've used tape on designs on the past, but feel they are tacky and never stay on for the long term. Putting several layers of paint, usually black or blue, makes the colors of your fish and/or coral pop out more than the clear background.

Spray painting the back before you fill it is super easy. Just takes 2-3 coats. Painting is better IMO because with the backgrounds, salt can get between the background and the glass/acrylic and when it dries, the salt is left behind and after a while it starts to look bad with a bunch of salt spots all over. Less maintenance of the background if you paint it.

I have also heard using waterbased paint if you decide painting. Easier to take off if you decide a ways down the road you want to change colors.

I used latex paint flat finished. Tape the top and bottom frame cut in along top and smooth roller the rest took about six coats. Let it dry between coats a quart has done a 75 and 36 with half leftover. 75 bow will make a great reef.

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I think ill try painting the 60 freshwater tank first and see how I like it

I painted mine a deep blue with latex years ago and its still on there good as new

Back
Top Bottom