Painting the Back of the Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D.Schneidt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do most of you guys paint the back of your tanks? If not what do you do? If there are any little tricks please share.

A lot of people paint the back. I've seen cut outs from the store, some spray paint cardboard that is the exact same length and width of the tank and stick it behind the tank, and some also use black trash bags. There are tons of ways to do it. Personally I just bought a black cutout you get from the petstore and taped it on

I just finished mine and it looks great I used valspar plastic paint and did real light coats. Took about 15 coats but it looks great

Attachments

• image-2760371644.jpg
    image-2760371644.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 107
  • image-1849480811.jpg
    image-1849480811.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 94
@tampa_nick you roll it on right? and what style black did you use?

@tampa_nick you roll it on right? and what style black did you use?
My tank is currently stocked, however, I have access to the back of the tank. Any special considerations (like low VOCs) so I don't affect the fish? I plan on using a hotdog roller (mini-roller) and covering the edges with blue tape.

why is this done?

The background is there to prevent one from seeing the equipment, wires, etc. It can also prevent ambient/excessive light from coming into the tank. Painted backgrounds offer a permanent* solution that won't warp with water contact or shift out of place in case the equipment is moved.
* Can be scraped off if necessary

I used spray paint since the tank isn't setup. I used valspar plastic flat black spray paint. You can roll it on with a roller and I think some one said latex. I liked the spray paint since I was able to do extremely light coats.

I used a roller and a sample size of Cobolt Blue from Home Depot. But my tank was already up and running so I didn't want to spray

I just used some acrylic paint I found at a hobby store, it was only a dollar or so per bottle and I think I went through 3 or 4 for my 75 gallon. I think it would work well for a tank that is already set up as there is little to no fumes and it's pretty thick stuff. I think I read that foam rollers work the best for it.

I used a spray can of rhino coat it don't scratch or chip just takes forever to dry but worth it
and looks better than just spray paint cause it lays down more even IMO
It also gives a nice texture look

Attachments

• 40breeder 008.jpg
    40breeder 008.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 68
I just painted the back of my tank last night. I masked off the trim and edges clean the glass with a razor blade and a mix of vinegar and water so you don't add ammonia. Then i used a sponge roller and 3-4 2oz bottles of acrylic craft paint and change directions with each coat. First coat vertical 2nd horizontal and so on. I would say an hour between coats. You will be pleased with the final result. I got everything from my local wal-mart for around $11. If you dont like the color or you want to change it later it comes off with a razor blade. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom