Partial Water Change Temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
This may be a dumb question but I better ask anyway. I need to do a 15% partial water change in my 75gallon. However, the saltwater that I have been storing is about 4-degrees cooler than my tank water. Do I have to poor this water into a bucket and then get another heater to put in the bucket to bring the temperature up? Or is there a better way? The last time I did a water change which was also my first time, I was able to put the water container outside in the sun to heat it up. But I know I can't always do this, especially in a few months from now. Thanks.

I personally wouldn't worry about 4 degrees, but you can add a heater and powerhead to your holding container (if possible) if it makes you feel better. That or the bucket/heater method you mentioned.

When I add water to my tanks, I add it to the sump so it mixes before it enters the main tank. Fast temperature changes will damage the fishes swim bladder leaving the fish stuck on the bottom.

I wouldn't worry about 4 degrees. But you will want to get a heater for the storage container for the coming months. Most likely, wherever your water is stored will be a lot cooler then and you won't have such a small temp difference between it and your tank. While you're at it, you probably want to throw a powerhead in there to, to keep the surface agitation/aeration going.

I agree with the others. For the summer months a small 4 degree difference on 15% of the water is not much and in most cases is a way to lower the temp from warm summer time weather. As winter approaches and the water becomes much cooler you'd want to add a heater to warm it up prior to putting it into the tank.

A few degrees isn't anything to worry about. However, it is worth mentioning that as the water temperature changes your SG reading can change with it (especialy if you're using a swing arm hydrometer). So it's always a good idea to bring your new water up to as close to the tank's temp before testing the SG to be sure it's as acurate as possible.

I would like to clarify a 4 degrees difference is not bad for a larger tank with a smaller amount of PWC, like you are going to do. Personally, I have my premixed water sitting with a heater and ph.

Back
Top Bottom