Patience worn thin, need some HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Farmington10

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all!

Hope someone can give me some kind of advice. Brief synopsis: Went on vacation, mother-in-law watching the house, she calls when she gets back from store to tell me my 125 gallon tank is empty. Water in the basement everywhere. Leaked out to within 3 or 4" of the bottom.

Fish transferred to other tanks. Took tank outside, re-filled, and it began leaking once nearly 3/4 full. Water began to seep out visibly from between the black plastic frame at the bottom and the glass at the corner. Though the water traveled the length of that frame quite quickly, I couldnt tell which corner was the issue. So., removed silicone on front and sides at the bottom (rear seal was already done when I first got tank, tank was used)

Re-siliconed, then filled....still leaks. Remove silicone, cleaned, did it again, refilled....still leaks. I cant figure out the what the {moderator edit} is going on.

To aide in any advice, below are some particulars about tank.

tank age: used. I need to re-silicone bottom rear of inside of tank when I got it. That was done 4-5 months ago and all was fine until last week. This was done because apparently the rear seal had given out when the stand underneath began getting weak. Water weight with no support caused original problem some time ago before I was tanks owner.

Tank is reef-ready with the pre-drilled holes in back corners behind the overflow walls. Have custom filtration system. Figured it wasnt leaking from the back corners because those corners were still filled up to the overflow slats at the top when rest of tank was empty down to the 3".

I use rather large gravel (river rock) Fish are Koi, and some are quite big. This tank was being used for the bigger fish until pond is finished construction.

I used aquarium grade silicone, cleaned with rubbing alcohol, removed old silicone (except the silicone that was already there against the overflow walls.)

Not sure what is going on, but I really need help. Fish are distributed to other tanks (temporarily!) I appreciate any help that can be provided, already have a rather large "honey-do" list, and this is now at the top! Thanks.

I would check the vertical seals in the corners. They may be leaking low in one of the corners and the water is just trickeling down and appears to be coming from the trim. Did you re-seal the back when you did it any of those times?

Buy a new tank

I agree....sometimes it's not worth the headache of draining, sealing, redraining, etc. as you have already done. Not too sure where you live but Craig's List is a great source of aquariums herein FL. I know it means getting a "used" one again, but truthfully, you don't come across too many tanks with leaks.

Sure if you have the $$$ then you could also buy new.

Are you fully letting it cure for the 48 hours? I know it says water safe in 3 hours, but thats only to seal, not for sealing and structural integrity, which is what we need.

Thank you all for the replies. I may have to look into craigslist. (Baltimore). Really dont have the extra $$ for another tank and no I had only re-siliconed the rear portion once when I first got tank. I have indeed waited the 48 hours.

The most recent silicone application 2 days did include the vertical seams, though I did not remove the original vertical seam all the way up, only half way and then siliconed to that point. I tried filling a little while ago and of course it leaked again, but this time the water level didnt go down as far.

I do appreciate all the quick replies. One of the reasons I love forums such as this one. Very helpful.

I would say it might be that rear seal just by process of elimination. It is unlikly that they other seals would leak after you have tried redoing them more then once.

I would redo every seam in there, new silicone does not stick to old silicone very well even if it appears they are sticking/overlapping.

Back
Top Bottom