PC Lighting Strip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettWalker

Aquarium Advice Activist
Am considering purchasing a 48" PC lighting strip for my 55gal tank. Has 2 white bulbs & 2 blue. What else should I learn about it before buying? Want to convert my FOLR tank to a Reef. I'm not knowledgable enough to ask intelligent questions at the LFS. :lol: Also, is $200 a good price?
Thanks again.

The items I would want to know would be the wattage rating on the bulbs.

What kind of pin connectors are on the bulbs? 4 pins in a row (aka German) or 4 pins in a box (Japanise or Panasonic)

The kelvin rating for the white and verifiy that the blue blubs are actinic.

With a little DIY I think you can get 4 X 55W ballast and lighting kit for $125.00 Bulbs will then run you just over $100 so I would say YES $200 is a good price assuming its a 4X 55W PC hood.

fishfreek said:
The items I would want to know would be the wattage rating on the bulbs.

What kind of pin connectors are on the bulbs? 4 pins in a row (aka German) or 4 pins in a box (Japanise or Panasonic)

The kelvin rating for the white and verifiy that the blue blubs are actinic."

Fishfreek,
The first strip I checked out did not have enough watts - also no fan. What do you think of the one below?

48 inch Deluxe power compact fixture with fan, 4 x 55 watt German bulb style, 47 inch x 7-1/8 inch by 3-1/8 inch. Includes 2 day and 2 actinic bulb. Includes optional mounting stands. Independent controls for daylight and actinic bulbs. Fan comes on with actinic bulbs. $275.00

If I wanted to go VHO - what kind of price do you think I could get?

Bett,

That doesn't sound like too much $$ for what you describe but it is still not enough for a really gonzo reef IMHO (ok maybe not so humble).
Have you considered MH?
Maybe 4 55W white pc's and a couple 48" actinic VHO or even NO (cheap). Although actinic add to the total watts in your watt/gallon equation, they don't add that much in the way of brightness. I would use 4-6 w/g of white and suppliment with actinic if needed.

Most of this is strictly a matter of personal preference. My experience is brighter is better. I haven't seen too much light over a reef yet.

FWIW
Mark

I think that if your just looking to keep soft corals like shooms, leathers, poylps, etc then the light you specified would be fine.

Should you dive into SPS or clams or other light loving corals then I agree with Anemoneman that more light is better.

Back
Top Bottom