pennant butterfly fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

titoav15

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
I want to purchase a rose bubble tip anemony and I was wondering if my pennant butterfly fish will pick on it? Any ideas or suggestions? I tried looking online and got no clear answer :(
Thanks for your help!
Alex

What other fish and or corals do you have in your tank?

No corals yet, I have hippo tang, blue maderin goby, blue spot jawfish, 2 percula clows, 2 cleaner shrimp, lawn mower blenny, pennant butterfly fish and turbo snails. thats about it!

LA says " It may nip at sessile invertebrates including corals. " There is a chance he could.

Thanks for all the info! :) Do you think its worth risking it? or should I try to sell the pennant butterfly fish? It would make me sad to because he is intertaining!

I would never risk it but it`s really up to you. He`s already in the tank right? You can take a chance but you`ll have to tear the tank down to get him if he does go munching.

One thing to think about as well anemone needs to have a well establish tank with a good light.

Depends on the species. Of the most common to hobbyists, Heniochus pleurotaenia would be your best option.

lighting should be good, I have 4 T5 HOs, yeah I guess I will have to get him out and put him in another tank lets see what happends :)

Also forgot to mention that I have 1 chocolate chip starfish for over a year now, the pennant butterfly fish and him are in the tank and he does not bother it, would it make sence that he would not bother the anemone as well? Im not putting any coral in there, but I am worried about the anemony right now. sorry for all these questions, I;m tring to make my decision here :)

There are no definite answers so you will have to try it out and see how it reacts. As far as invertebrates, you're looking at various sessile inverts. such as coral and sponges along with the likelihood of feather dusters, clams, and possibly anemone's. If you are worried about the anemone then do not add the fish, simple as that ;)

Back
Top Bottom