people tell me that i suppose to get rid of my bio balls. Is this true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tankneebie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have my tank for about 1 year, and i seen people tell me that i suppose to get rid of my bio balls. Is this true? I have a 12 gallon biocube. And if i do am i suppose to get rid of the little white cylinders in the back?

What type of tank is this? Freshwater or Saltwater fish only or Saltwater Reef?

This is the same one we were talking about earlier today? If you plan on going reef then I would drop them. Otherwise, they are okay to leave in the sump. Just keep an eye on your nitrate as the levels will slowly rise.

Is this an all in one tank like a bio-cube? What are your plans for the tank in the future (besides that Goby)?

What are your nitrate readings?
If they are over 5 and you are doing regular water changes, dump the bioballs and replace them with live rock rubble. Don't replace more than a third at a time, and wait a week between each change.
If you want to keep sps corals you really want the nitrates reading zero.

X2 on the replacing with Live Rock Rubble. 8 years ago I used the bio balls in a trickle filter.. I am amazed at how much better my new custom sump with just some live rock, rubble and Macro algae is working. So simple yet works so well.

Back
Top Bottom