Peppermint shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a small peppermint shrimp for my 10 gallon a week ago. I drip acclimated him and put him in. Never saw him again. I figured he died and it was just wasted money. Today he showed up on my rock, but he is clear as glass. He appears to be alive, just not pink. I am glad to see that he is still in there, and the fact that he survived and is out is good. But is he going to be okay? How long will it take before he looks like a healthy peppermint shrimp again? I don't have any fish in the tank yet, just live rock, so I am not feeding the tank anything. Will he find enough food? I also have an emerald crab in the tank.

Right now he is stuck to the filter intake. He was flattened against it earlier but seems to be holding himself up now. Not much I can do but watch and see if he gets stronger.

I am new to shrimp but the antennae are up and legs are moving a bit. It does not appear to be the molt. Maybe he is picking stuff out of the water as it goes by because that is easier for him right now. We will see what happens today. If he is still around tonight then maybe he has a shot at making it.

So I finally went to nudge the thing. Definitely not something that is alive. The question is: was it the molt and the shrimp will come out in a few days, or was that the shrimp and he didn't make it? This morning he was on a rock and looked at least alive. So I am guessing that was the actual shrimp that did not make it. Not sure I will try again any time soon. I will wait a few weeks until I am ready to get my fish. They are easier to keep alive I think.

I'm betting it was a molt you'll see your shrimp again once his shell hardens again
this is a very common occurrence don't be fooled those molts can look so realistic ,

That would be good news. How long does it take them to come out again? When we had hermit crabs (land ones) they would disappear for several weeks at a time for molting.

I want to know at what point to stop looking for him.

I have a book that suggest peppermint shrimp may harm coral. Anyone ever have an issue with this? I have one aiptasia anemone on new live rock which I'm sure will become many more.

I have a book that suggest peppermint shrimp may harm coral. Anyone ever have an issue with this? I have one aiptasia anemone on new live rock which I'm sure will become many more.

I have a peppermint in my 10g reef. Hasn't hurt a thing. He was VERY shy for weeks though. He will warm up to the tank.

Mine will eat straight from the palm of my hand now.

Never seen him touch a coral unless he's trying to snatch some food.

Mine usually molts and comes back in around a week when it has happened.

Don't worry, I flipped out when I saw a carcass and forgot they molted the first time :)

Caleb

This morning I came down to find two molts. One of my purple reef lobster and the other of my coral banded shrimp. I was really upset thinking they were dead, but as it turns out they both are on the same molting schedule?? Is that a thing or is it just an extreme coincidence?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440622333.272262.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440622472.943885.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If more than one is molting at the same time I would test your water. They often will molt due to changing water conditions.

Caleb

Was it a slow water change or do you swap in large amounts of water for fresh unheated water? This could be the issue at hand.
On my reef, though not a method for everyone, I simply remove the top off water from my ATO and do water changes through it. It makes it a slow process so the new water doesn't need to be heated as it slowly enters the system rather than all at once and doesn't make any drastic changes to salinity.

the purple lobster I have he molt's like every 6 months my shrimp seem to do it on a more frequent schedule like every month but they seem to rotate I have 9 different species of shrimp, my peppermints molt 2 times a month 2 of them are almost big enough to eat lol

My shrimp showed up! I have seen him 2-3 times now under my blue light at night. I don't see him much but I know he is in there.

Is it possible that over time he will come out more, or do they stay hidden most of the time?

Back
Top Bottom