Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Peppermint shrimp

I got a small peppermint shrimp for my 10 gallon a week ago. I drip acclimated him and put him in. Never saw him again. I figured he died and it was just wasted money. Today he showed up on my rock, but he is clear as glass. He appears to be alive, just not pink. I am glad to see that he is still in there, and the fact that he survived and is out is good. But is he going to be okay? How long will it take before he looks like a healthy peppermint shrimp again? I don't have any fish in the tank yet, just live rock, so I am not feeding the tank anything. Will he find enough food? I also have an emerald crab in the tank.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It is normal for this to occur. When going into a new tank, they will likely molt.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Right now he is stuck to the filter intake. He was flattened against it earlier but seems to be holding himself up now. Not much I can do but watch and see if he gets stronger.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You're sure that wasn't the molt? If it got stuck to the filter that isn't a good sign and is most likely on its way out.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am new to shrimp but the antennae are up and legs are moving a bit. It does not appear to be the molt. Maybe he is picking stuff out of the water as it goes by because that is easier for him right now. We will see what happens today. If he is still around tonight then maybe he has a shot at making it.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I finally went to nudge the thing. Definitely not something that is alive. The question is: was it the molt and the shrimp will come out in a few days, or was that the shrimp and he didn't make it? This morning he was on a rock and looked at least alive. So I am guessing that was the actual shrimp that did not make it. Not sure I will try again any time soon. I will wait a few weeks until I am ready to get my fish. They are easier to keep alive I think.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #7
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'm betting it was a molt you'll see your shrimp again once his shell hardens again
this is a very common occurrence don't be fooled those molts can look so realistic ,
Old 08-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

That would be good news. How long does it take them to come out again? When we had hermit crabs (land ones) they would disappear for several weeks at a time for molting.

I want to know at what point to stop looking for him.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Right now. If it molted you won't see it until the new shell hardens.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a book that suggest peppermint shrimp may harm coral. Anyone ever have an issue with this? I have one aiptasia anemone on new live rock which I'm sure will become many more.

Tags
pepper, peppermint, peppermint shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com