Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Peppermint Shrimp for Aiptasia Control - Good or Bad idea?

I eventually want a copper band butterfly, but I don't want the aiptasia to get out of control in the meantime.

I hear good and bad and I don't want to put my soft corals at risk.

125 gal mixed REEF
PrettyFishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read that Peppermint Shrimp can be used but it depends on the size of the Aiptasia. It also depends on the shrimp; some won't eat them. If you have a problem with just a few, you can use lemon juice and a syringe.

trackfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Peppermint shrimp will not harm any coral. There is another shrimp called the camel shrimp that looks similar that is a threat to coral. If you google both of them and click on images you can clearly see the large bump on the back of the camel shrimp that is the easy way to tell it apart from peppermints which have a more or less flat back.

As far as eating aiptasia it is not a sure bet. There have been a few who don't eat them or will only eat a few. If you have really large aptasia they will sometimes not eat the big ones. If you just have two or three I would just pick up some joe's juice and take them out yourself.
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote

aiptasia, aiptasia control, control, pepper, peppermint, peppermint shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com