Percula clown behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donf

Aquarium Advice Regular
After completing my cycle I added my first fish this past Friday afternoon. It is a percula clown I got at the LFS. I acclimated by floating the bag 45 minutes for temp, and then did the drip method for 1 hr.

The fish continues to stay in the upper corner of the tank and appears to be trying to swim against the glass. It does not swim and use the entire space of the tank. It has not left the same small area all weekend.

I also tried to feed it flake food with no luck. He seems hungry though as he darts at other small debris that floats by.

The tank is 46 bow with 60 #'s of LR. There are 2 PH, Remora Pro and Canister filiter for flow.

Any suggestions?

I am sure others will ask this so I will start with asking what your water parameters are? Nitrites, Amm., PH, etc. Are you sure the tank cycled fully?

As for your clown, mine love the frozen Formula one food, but to be honest my clown is a pig and will eat just about any food I put in the tank. I would try some other foods other then the flake food. I think your fish is still getting used to his new surroundings. My clown often does the same thing, he stays high in the corner specially when he sleeps. I would give him a few more days. He should become more active as he gets comforable in your tank.

Good luck,
Mark

Was the bag left unopened for the 45 min temp acclimation period?

Cheers
Steve

The bad was not left unopened for the 45 mins.
The fish did eat a little frozen brine yesterday... but not much. Only what floated near it.
I could swear that it sees itself in the glass. It still stays near the glass at all times and seems to try to swin at its reflection.
Thanks,
Don

Clown behavior seems to be a regular topic here.

I have noticed with several fish that they do not leave their favorite spots when humans are present. i spend a lot of time watching my true perc from across the room. He loves to hang under tank accessories and returns their when you get close. Mine will not come out to eat if you are close and seems to swim freely when you are out of site. It has been this way for a year.

It might be lonely. Perc's like to be in pairs.

Mine started out as a pair but never made it out of the QT. It may be true, but now he is finally starting to be less scared.

yea i bought a pair of baby O. clowns and it took them about a month to finally go to the other side of my 75g. they mainly stayed in the upper right by my overflow but now all my fish come to the glass when im present except my rainford goby, my lawnmower blenny is the best to watch as he strikes poses for me... its one of those faces only a mother could love :lol:

Back
Top Bottom