Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
There's no real gauge to go by, but the more air and water entering the skimmer, the more water volume it can handle. That skimmer you listed sounds good, except for the price. Yes, external skimmers sit near the tank and are supplied by a pump. Internal skimmers sit in sump, and use 1 pump for everything. HOB skimmers hang on the tank. You are going to be limited with HOB skimmers. There aren't too many of them useful for large tanks. They are mostly for smaller tanks with no sumps.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Red Sea C-Skim 1800 Advanced Protein Skimmer

There is one on ebay for $195 but does not come with a pump

It says that it can be a "in-sump use or stand-alone installation". But not sure how it could be stand-alone without a tank of water? Since the output would need to go into a tank and be pumped back into the aquarium. Right? So I guess it just doesn't have to sit in water but can.

So would it need two pumps? One to bring water to it and one to pump water back into the aquarium?

Till I get a sump set up (but is a sump set up a wet/dry filter?) I could just put the whole thing in a 10 gallon aquarium. Right?
What type of power heads do you like? I guess this one needs one with at least 450gph. But wouldn't the return pump need to be of similar size so that the little tank underneath doesn't overflow?

Sorry for all the questions - I can see why a HOB models are so popular.

Aquarium Filter Red Sea Advanced Protein Skimmer C Skim 1800 | eBay

Old 04-30-2013, 02:38 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah99701 View Post
Red Sea C-Skim 1800 Advanced Protein Skimmer

There is one on ebay for $195 but does not come with a pump

It says that it can be a "in-sump use or stand-alone installation". But not sure how it could be stand-alone without a tank of water? Since the output would need to go into a tank and be pumped back into the aquarium. Right? So I guess it just doesn't have to sit in water but can.

So would it need two pumps? One to bring water to it and one to pump water back into the aquarium?

Till I get a sump set up (but is a sump set up a wet/dry filter?) I could just put the whole thing in a 10 gallon aquarium. Right?
What type of power heads do you like? I guess this one needs one with at least 450gph. But wouldn't the return pump need to be of similar size so that the little tank underneath doesn't overflow?

Sorry for all the questions - I can see why a HOB models are so popular.

Aquarium Filter Red Sea Advanced Protein Skimmer C Skim 1800 | eBay
I have two of these skimmers. While it does skim well, it does have a design flaw where there is a part that tends to drip. Not too big a deal if its in sump but a nuisance. I run one on my DT externally (drip much more problematic as it sits on the wall above a chiller) and one on my frag tank in sump. The drip is easily solved (I wrapped it with self fusing silicone tape) by various means but still to be noted. They are also finicky at times to adjust. Knowing what I know now I would have purchased a different one. I've been seriously looking at the My Reef Creations skimmers but those are pricey to say the least. Also, IMHO recirculating skimmers are better skimmers.
Also the two pumps utilized are for one pump is the feed pump (supplying water from the tank, to the skimmer, and back to the tank), and the other pump is for the recirculation of water that mixes the water and air that creates the foam.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
A sump is not a wet/dry filter. That's something used primarily for fish only tanks, due to the filter not converting nitrate to nitrogen gas. For a reef tank you would want to have very low to no nitrate.
A sump is basically just another container of water. What you put in it varies, per hobbyist.

When we are talking powerheads, do you mean a pump that returns water to the sump, or pumps that sit in the display and are used to increase flow?
If it's return pumps, Danner mag drives, Quiet One's, and Eheims seem to be the most commonly used. Don't skimp on one of these, since your tank depends on it.
As for the gph of the pump, that would depend on what you are feeding in your sump.
In other words, if your sump has a protein skimmer in it that has a 500gph pump on it, you want to send it at least 500 gph (after head loss) for maximum efficiency.

If we are talking power heads inside the tank for flow, Many people like Hydor Koralias, Aqueon power heads, and the uber expensive "Ecotech Vortech".

The protein skimmers I like that aren't ridiculously overpriced are Reef Octopus, Bubble Magus, ASM (the new cones, not the old models), Sea Side Aquatics, Vertex, and lastly, JNS.

Tags
filter, gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com