Period between adding fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just added a royal gramma to my tank last sunday...

Will this Thursday (ie. 11 days after) be too early to add another fish (fireball angel), or would you wait a bit longer (some say 2 weeks?) for the bacteria to catch up with the new bioload?

:)

Hey Mark I cannot remember the size tank you had, and how long it has been set up.

If it is a decent size tank, and it is pretty well established then I think that the 11 days would be enough time given the size of both of these fish. :wink:

Hi revhtree, thanks for the reply!

It's a 35gal tank, and it's been set up for 12 months.

As I dont have much LR (my Eheim wet/dry provides most of the filtration), I dont want to rush things and upset my tank's water quality by adding the 4th (and last) fish too soon!

How long would you suggest leaving it before adding the fireball?

If you are not using qt, I would wait another week or 2. Also gives the tank a good amount of time for the bioload adjustment.

Bugger, was hoping to add him this week before he gets sold at the LFS :(

Hehe...

So you'd wait 3-4 weeks between adding fish?

If I go this Sunday, it'd be 2 weeks. Is that too soon?

I don't think so but the size of fish matters as well as the levels of ammonia. I haven't had any problems but they are relatively small, easy fish with a 110 gallon aquarium.

Both fish are quite small, about 2" each. No ammonia yet, and it's been 10 days since I put him in.

Am I safe to go get my angel tomorrow, or would you really wait a week or so more? How long do people usually wait between adding fish?

Can I get him on Sunday, which will mean there's been 2 weeks between me adding the 2 fish? :D

Well I want to avoid any spikes if at all possible...

Do you think I'm safe after 2 weeks? Or do most people wait 4? ;)

If your worried then just wait an extra 2 weeks. I know its hard, but it will give you peace of mind. :wink:

Well do I have grounds to be worried, or will he 95% be ok after the 2 weeks?

OK...

So is 3 weeks between the 2 fish plenty of time?

Looks like I'm just getting my new corals tomorrow then and not my new fish!

I do have a large Eheim wet/dry canister filter, and about 1.5" (bagged) livesand, if that makes any difference to if I can put him in now or not.

Just tested my levels again, and all (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) are 0, and have been since I added the last fish 2 weeks ago. Won't the bacteria have caught up by now?

MarkW19 said:
Just tested my levels again, and all (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) are 0, and have been since I added the last fish 2 weeks ago. Won't the bacteria have caught up by now?

most likely, but noone will be able to give you any guaruntees. There is (and always will be) more factors than we can consider all at once. The best you can do is make sure things are stable with what you have and that you are comfortable with the way things are before you make any changes or additions. Noone can make that decision for you. IMO, your last addition was only 1 fish. There isn't much for the bacteria to catch up on in that situation so as long as things have stabalized, you should be fine.

Of course, if you were using a QT, you could get the fish any time and by the time the QT period was over the main tank would be more than ready for the addition.

JMO

Back
Top Bottom