Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Pests

Hi all just started on the project off my first SW nano tank I have only got to putting in the live rock in so got a while for cycle to finish do I need to put any treatment in the tank that will kill any pests that have hitched a ride on the rock if yes what's the bet to get?

Old 10-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #2

Pests

Hi All,

I'm new to the world of SW and started my first tank only at the live rock stage and cycling at the mo so just looking for some advice.
someone informed me that live rock can come with pests overseen a free clear looking big walking around on the rock there really tiny and a little work looking thing it's red in couloir do I need to get treatment for it? Ifso what should I get? Many thanks can

Old 10-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidders1980
Hi All,

I'm new to the world of SW and started my first tank only at the live rock stage and cycling at the mo so just looking for some advice.
someone informed me that live rock can come with pests overseen a free clear looking big walking around on the rock there really tiny and a little work looking thing it's red in couloir do I need to get treatment for it? Ifso what should I get? Many thanks can
Sorry for the spelling it's a little red worm thing
Old 10-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The worm is most likely just a bristle worm, a good scavenger to have.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not aware of any treatments to kill pests that won't also kill the good bacteria on the live rock. I'd just keep close observation and see what type , if any, pests you get.

Only a few are actually nuisances, the rest have can prove beneficial to the tank if you're looking for a complete ecosystem.

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
The worm is most likely just a bristle worm, a good scavenger to have.
Ok cool so just leave everything a is then, tank been running 2 week so far so think I have a little more time To go befor putting anything in went to LFS and they tested Waterford me and said looking good to happy so far just want to patent and do it to the letter thank you for the advice
Old 10-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4wheels2
I'm not aware of any treatments to kill pests that won't also kill the good bacteria on the live rock. I'd just keep close observation and see what type , if any, pests you get.

Only a few are actually nuisances, the rest have can prove beneficial to the tank if you're looking for a complete ecosystem.
Ok Brilliant thank you, just learning a much as I can from here an taking every step bit by bit. Only have live rock at the moment but hoping to put a clean up crew in a few weeks time once again thank you for the Advice

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com