Petco Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, my LFS doesn't do anything SW only FW which leaves me with Petco. Are the corals safe to buy from there, and do you quartine new corals? What should I look for when purchasing corals for my nano tank I am working on setting up.

Dead tissue, any visible pests (coral dependent), algae. My petco has coral and they actually look ok. A friend got a nice torch from them with no problems. Just dip them in revive or coral rx.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some of them look okay and some of them look quite badly, it seems as if the new ones they get are fine for a few weeks and then deteriorate rapidly. So after purchasing a dip in coral rx will make them okay to be placed into the new tank?

Sure. One of the things I do is learn when my LFS, be it small local or large chain store, gets their new livestock in. This will help with the health of the coral normally. Put that in tandem with a coral dip and everything is good. One can't simply single out a large chain store for poor livestock, there are all kinds of stores big and small that struggle with both fish and coral. You should always be cautious and be on the safe side with coral dips and QT tanks to prevent any issues spreading in your display tank.

Yes like hank said buy the newer better looking stuff and dip it. Don't mess with the dying stuff. Sometimes you can bring it back but sometimes that stuff is to far gone

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom