Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

dizam

Old 10-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

alright I guess its time to start my build i added my water and salt and heater last night.......should i start a build post....keeping in mind this build may take some time because i'm really confused by althe diff. opinions.. wuold 30 lbsof sand and 45lbs of lr be to little for a 55??

Old 10-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would use more live rock, I think you should have 1-2 pounds of live rock per gallon. But I am not 100% sure of that. I have 60lbs in my 55g. I wish I had more. As far as the sand bed goes just depends on if you want a deep sand bed or not. Some people like a 1" sand bed, some like up to 4". They bothe seem to have there pro's and con's.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
I would use more live rock, I think you should have 1-2 pounds of live rock per gallon. But I am not 100% sure of that. I have 60lbs in my 55g. I wish I had more. As far as the sand bed goes just depends on if you want a deep sand bed or not. Some people like a 1" sand bed, some like up to 4". They bothe seem to have there pro's and con's.
how much did you spend on your LR and are you coral keeping I myself prefer a deep substrate....to be honest though i hate sand i'm running pFs in my cichlid tank and its just messy....I"m so freaking confused..i feel like i'm bout to go drain my saltwater and just make a frontosa tank...
Old 10-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think I paid about $3.50 lb for my live rock. In the past I had some battles with my tank and was where you are now about to drain it. I decided 2 weeks ago I am going to get this tank running right again. My nitrates were over 160ppm and because of the help on this forum this morning they are down to 15ppm. The only advice I can give you on teh sand bed as what to do, is look at some photo's of saltwater tanks and see what you like the best. Pick a route and go. Some people are great at this hobby and others are not(like me). I do a lot of research and still don't have a tank I want. But, I am getting there. All aquariums are frustrating, just think how you will feel once we get past that and have a beautiful reef tank. I love this challenge. I will finish beating my nitrates. I have a photo in another forum called High Nitrates please help. If you want to see what a dsb and about 60lbs of live rock looks like in 55g. Some one on here was going to order live rock for $115 a box but not sure how many pounds it was from PetCo.com I personally like ordering live stuff from petsolutions.com and my equipment from either them or marinedepot.com. I am going to order a clean up crew from reffscavangers.com who I have never ordered from but there crew is a lot cheaper than anybody else I have seen.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
Must be nice my LFS has live rock for $13.99 a pound. There are the only fish store other than petsmart and there prices really suck. Mag Drive 7=$189.99. 48" Orbit PC 260w fixture is $448.99. Everything I buy I buy online, LOL! **** there 3/4 hose is $2.99 a ft, LOL!
Dang are they still in business with prices like that!?!

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea i'm the one who was questioning the ordering from Petco....in the store the are freaking crazy....adv they are selling the instore which was beautiful in color at 16 bucks for a large 11 for a small so on...just stupid my lfs is about 13.99 to....ALSO YOU GET 45 LS FOR 115.....
Old 10-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

been in business for 20 years. They are the only pet store around that sells saltwater, they can charge what they want. I have used them for emergencies for houses etc... everytime I am in there its packed. However I don't see many people in the saltwater section buying only looking. There Ocellaris Clownfish are $32.99 each, LOL!
Old 10-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

alright i bought 90 bucks worth of Extremely premium liverokc from the LFS..per them I'm post pics..then i bought a few pieces of base ....i'm just trying to get my tank cycled...I'll be adding more of course...later....
Old 10-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

At that price I would say go for it. It's almost as cheap as baserock...

Tags
live, live rock, petco, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com