Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Petco Live Rock

alright putting my order in tomorrow...I am wondering if anyone has bought Livercok from PETCO .com...They have 45 lbs of FIJI premium for 114.99. Has anyone ever bought this??? Was it worth it...I'm saying thats great after i did the math that less that 3 bucks a lb for premium fiji everyone talks about...I'm starting my 55 tonights...adding first water and salt mix....Tomorrow sand....and hopefully the Live rock if my family here agrees..i've also been told for a 55 if u have suffiecnt LR you dont have to have a skimmer...lad at my lfs says she runs a 75 reef with no skiummer and she does just fine,

Old 10-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
I'm gonna get some hate for this, but I say don't get all live rock. It's a tad expensive for rock with bacteria on it. I say get SOME live rock and a lot of base rock, it will eventually become live.

Just my $0.02 lol

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I know there are some that dont run a skimmer. For me it`s a very important piece of equipment because it removes DOC`s which is important but that`s just me. Read these to consider if it`s worth it.

SkimrArt

Skimming by RHF

Skimming Basics 101: Understanding Your Skimmer by Frank Marini, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

All I usually ever purchase is Fiji Premium Uncured live rock since I prefer to have something nice to work with from the get-go rather than base rock. You could also get some Fiji Premium and another decorative rock like branch rock, Vanuatua, etc.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

for 114 bucks for 45 lbs of Live Rock.....thats less than what the LFS at 6.99 a lb...so i feel like i am getting a steal...is this not a deal.....i'm going to bypass the skimmer till no since i'm just doing a fowlr for now.....i think...
Old 10-16-2009, 01:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I know there are some that dont run a skimmer. For me it`s a very important piece of equipment because it removes DOC`s which is important
I agree. it is important but not necessary. I don't have one yet but It will be my next purchase. You just must do more PWC's with no skimmer. my nitrates stay below 5ppm with no skimmer. when they get above 5ppm I do a 25% water change.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Any Comment on the Live Rock QUESTION??

I guess at this point i'm really more concerned with the Liverock. Does anyone have any experiences with petco and there live rock????

Thanks for the skimmer adive..i do water changes every week on all my tanks..I have like water changing OCD...i dont mind...i want my fish to be happy and to make sure my exhibits are tip top so they continue to wow me when i walk in....so thats not a bother for me..
Old 10-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
is back to save the day!

Honestly.. i would not buy anything from a chain market. If they say it's fiji premium live rock.. then MAYBE you can trust it. Think you can take pictures of it? Because im sure if we saw what it looked like.. we would be able to tell what kind of rock it is. We would also be able to see what the rocks conditions are.. If they have algae, Coraline, and all those good things you should be getting when you purchase live rock. If your going to be spending that much money.. wouldn't it be peace of mind to you, to be 100% confident on what you are about to purchase?

Personally, i have never dealt with anything SW from any chain markets and i know a lot of people that do not either. Unless there is a local pet chain market that you have experience with and trust. I know someone here who likes a place by them called petland. Says it is a good place since the people there actually care about their animals. All i can say is.. i've been to petsmart and petco and other animal chain markets and their livestock conditions are never as good as local fish shops, that are dedicated to.. FISH. So you gota think about it.. Fish stores need to dedicate their time and experience to fish because that's what people go there to buy lol. Not always the case with petstore chains that sell a huge variety of things in their store. Kind of makes sense to me.. lol :s
Old 10-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

u dont get to see pics of it,..its online ordering..
Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhemp34 View Post
for 114 bucks for 45 lbs of Live Rock.....thats less than what the LFS at 6.99 a lb...so i feel like i am getting a steal...is this not a deal.....i'm going to bypass the skimmer till no since i'm just doing a fowlr for now.....i think...
Must be nice my LFS has live rock for $13.99 a pound. There are the only fish store other than petsmart and there prices really suck. Mag Drive 7=$189.99. 48" Orbit PC 260w fixture is $448.99. Everything I buy I buy online, LOL! **** there 3/4 hose is $2.99 a ft, LOL!

Tags
live, live rock, petco, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com