Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

petco live rock

i know not to buy fish from petco, but how bout live rock? it says cured on it, but would it be safe to put in my tank do you think? only wondering cuz they got it cheap.

Old 05-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Even petco cant screw up LR...

I will say that I have picked up some nice fish from the Petco in my area and they did well.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah, i thought my petco was decent...i bought 15 black neons....13 of which died in about 2 hours in a tank thats been set up for about 4 years with everything perfect as far as water and everything goes. i still have the 2 that lived tho after about 3 months lol.

anyways, what could be bad about the rock, besides uncured. or is that all that would be bad. and if i add a bit of live rock to my tank thats just got base rock in it, would it start the cycle over again, or would it just be a couple days? also, if i got the rock, and had it sit in a different tank for a while, would it still create the spike/cycle?

thanks
mike
Old 05-07-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Before doing so, check the other tanks and fish for signs of ich. The local Petco is constantly plagued by it. It can get into your tank on LR. Just FYI.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

oh dang lol, i dont know if i'm getting their live rock now. prolly just go to aquarium arts now and pay 40 cents more for so called "cure"

thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think like anything else, its a store by store issue. We have a LFS that I worked at about while in college (15 years ago). At the time, the Internet was pretty non-existent and because they specialize in fish, this store was the lifeline for local hobbyists.

I went in the other day and was greatly disappointed at how things have degraded since then. If you walk into the local Petco, things don't look nearly as bad. I guess my point is, each store is only as good as its being currently maintained. Even the best store can go to pot quickly with new mgmt.

As for LR, I have no doubt my local Petco stuff is cured. It looks like its been there forever (at 9.99/lb, no wonder!).
Old 05-08-2006, 09:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ya the one by me has it for 4.20 or something like that. I was like, there's gotta be a catch...I dont think i'll get it from them, cuz they're tanks are pretty gross. They even put fish in with their live rock tub/tank

the thing that bugs me most about them is they get all their corals and anemones under just regular incandecent light bulbs. They all look shriveled and what not.

anyways, thanks all
Old 05-08-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I bought a chunk of "cured" LR from a not so LFS (place was a dump) and I knew I shouldn't have but the rock was what I was looking for, I think there was something on it. Once I added it, lost my clown and fire shrimp. The water params didn't change. I'll stick to my LFS and online....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

and what should i do with the rock as far as preparing it to go into my tank once i get it? Let it sit in saltwater for a few days? scrub it off? I really have no clue on this, so any help would be good
thanks
mike
Old 05-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can cure it yourself, in addition to any curing it had prior. If you have a new rubbermaid tub, you can place it in there with some SW, and a powerhead. If you happen to have spare skimmer, you can skim the water, but its not necessary.

I would only scrub it if it has smelly gunk all over it. Smell the rock. It it smells like funk, it needs more curing. If it smells like the ocean, its cured. There is never any guarantee that the rock you place in your tank is disease or parasite free. But, if you have the time and the tub, you can cure it extra. If you decide to cure it for more than a few days, do a PWC on the water in the tub every 2-3 days.

Tags
live, live rock, petco, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com