PFS: can i use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
I just bought alot of PFS when i was going to do my freshwater tank but now i decided to turn it into a SW tank. Can i still use the PFS and just get some scoops of live sand from my lfs to help seed it? or do i need to go out and by all new marine sand or aragonite..

It depends. Were you going to put alot of flow through the sand with sand stirrers and similar? If not, then the buffering effect will be limited. If all else, just keeping water changes once every few weeks would keep the tank stable.

Hey RazorbacksFan, what is your zip code? I have looked on line at all the home depots and none of them sell PFS. Would like to look up yours to see. They have 3 other types of sand. Was it called something else?

lol its no problem. Anyways, i think im going to go with the aragonite marine mix thing because i do want little critters living in the sand. Its alright anyways because the sand i want is only like 10$ at my lfs. Not a big deal. But also, i have another question someone might be able to answer. The tank i got came with a topfin60 filter. Like the dual one with two slots for bio-bags and all. Am i still going to be able to use that for this SW tank? Or will i need a different type of fitler?

P.S., that link is an error page. lololol

lol its no problem. Anyways, i think im going to go with the aragonite marine mix thing because i do want little critters living in the sand. Its alright anyways because the sand i want is only like 10$ at my lfs. Not a big deal. But also, i have another question someone might be able to answer. The tank i got came with a topfin60 filter. Like the dual one with two slots for bio-bags and all. Am i still going to be able to use that for this SW tank? Or will i need a different type of fitler?

P.S., that link is an error page. lololol
It should be fine to use, maybe not the most optimal filter for the application but I do not think that it would cause a problem.

Alright sweet. Its just that right now since i have a filter i would like to at least use it.. and then somewhere down the road i would get a better filter for a SW tank.

Brain fart here...PFS=pool filter sand? There are folks that use it with SW, it tends to be more silicate based sand...a little rougher on the sand sifting critters, but I haven't heard any true horror stories...You may have to deal with a little more diatom blooms, but nothing to worry too much about, I wouldn't think.

Brain fart here...PFS=pool filter sand? There are folks that use it with SW, it tends to be more silicate based sand...a little rougher on the sand sifting critters, but I haven't heard any true horror stories...You may have to deal with a little more diatom blooms, but nothing to worry too much about, I wouldn't think.
Yupp PFS- Pool Filter Sand.

Filters like that are known to become nitrate factories. You may want to toss the filter media and just fill it with live rock rubble. Live rock in the main display and/or sump/fuge are the main biological filters in a reef or fowlr setup.

From what I understand, the main reasons for not using PFS in SW (and I'm a huge fan of it for FW) is that it is reported to cause longer lived and more pronounced diatom problems and lacks the buffering of aragonite.

I agree, when I get a new filter, I toss the foam/sponges. You can keep the nitrAtes down, if you rinse them (in old SW), but they work fine with or without the foam....

The tank i got came with a topfin60 filter. Like the dual one with two slots for bio-bags and all. Am i still going to be able to use that for this SW tank? Or will i need a different type of fitler?

I started with the same setup. I have a very light bioload and about 50lbs of live rock in my aquarium. I have 2 topfin60's. I would suggest removeing ALL the media from the filter and put phosphate remover in one side and carbon in the other. the LR will take care of biological filtration. Later on you (like me) are going to want to go with a skimmer or/and a refugium. Reef Octopus makes some GREAT HOB models. the BH-800s is what I am getting. It is TOTALLY quiet. I'm also going to run a HOB refugium. Size things for a bigger tank. If you like the 55 you will LOVE a 75.

Check out my post "advice from a newbie to a newbie"

That sounds like a good idea. Im buying a skimmer tonight anyways. But wont putting LR rubble in the HOB filter work just as well as putting carbon and phosphate in there? I hear using the LR in the filter is really all you need.

That sounds like a good idea. Im buying a skimmer tonight anyways. But wont putting LR rubble in the HOB filter work just as well as putting carbon and phosphate in there? I hear using the LR in the filter is really all you need.

LR provides BIOLOGICAL filtration (i.e. NH4 and NOx conversion)

The Carbon and Phosphate Remover Provide CHEMICAL Filtration.

3 Types of filtration

1. Mechanical - filter sponge, skimmer
2. Chemical - Carbon, Phosphate Remover, Nitrate Remover
3. Biological - Live Rock for the Nitrogen cycle

I wish PFS seemed like a safer alternative, my stores in my area don't sell large enough vaolumes of argonite sand to fill my 75g... I've heard that people say some sand from Home Depot, Play sand from the carribean or something works well

As said before, i thought it could work like that too.. but you dont get the biological plus that you would if you had aragonite sand. Plus some PFS like the one i have actually is a little more silicone based.. so it wouldnt be as easy and as nice for the sifters in the live sand to move around and do their thing. but then again.. if you dont have much of a choice.. :/

Honestly I thought they sold finer arg sand, but the stuff I see around in my fish stores looks like chopped shells, maybe a few centimeters wide a piece. I'm going to have to act soon though in regards to sand, my RO/DI unit just got here...

Back
Top Bottom