Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
is back to save the day!

PFS: can i use it?

I just bought alot of PFS when i was going to do my freshwater tank but now i decided to turn it into a SW tank. Can i still use the PFS and just get some scoops of live sand from my lfs to help seed it? or do i need to go out and by all new marine sand or aragonite..

Old 07-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would think you would want argonite for the buffering effect but I have never had a salty so I'm not 100%.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It depends. Were you going to put alot of flow through the sand with sand stirrers and similar? If not, then the buffering effect will be limited. If all else, just keeping water changes once every few weeks would keep the tank stable.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Fish R friends, not food!

Hey RazorbacksFan, what is your zip code? I have looked on line at all the home depots and none of them sell PFS. Would like to look up yours to see. They have 3 other types of sand. Was it called something else?
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Fish R friends, not food!

Sorry links, didnt mean to jack the thread.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Hey RazorbacksFan, what is your zip code? I have looked on line at all the home depots and none of them sell PFS. Would like to look up yours to see. They have 3 other types of sand. Was it called something else?
71923 the closest one will be Hot Springs AR. Here is the link to exactly what I got Product Information Error Page hope that helps.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
is back to save the day!

lol its no problem. Anyways, i think im going to go with the aragonite marine mix thing because i do want little critters living in the sand. Its alright anyways because the sand i want is only like 10$ at my lfs. Not a big deal. But also, i have another question someone might be able to answer. The tank i got came with a topfin60 filter. Like the dual one with two slots for bio-bags and all. Am i still going to be able to use that for this SW tank? Or will i need a different type of fitler?

P.S., that link is an error page. lololol
Old 07-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksyz View Post
lol its no problem. Anyways, i think im going to go with the aragonite marine mix thing because i do want little critters living in the sand. Its alright anyways because the sand i want is only like 10$ at my lfs. Not a big deal. But also, i have another question someone might be able to answer. The tank i got came with a topfin60 filter. Like the dual one with two slots for bio-bags and all. Am i still going to be able to use that for this SW tank? Or will i need a different type of fitler?

P.S., that link is an error page. lololol
It should be fine to use, maybe not the most optimal filter for the application but I do not think that it would cause a problem.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
is back to save the day!

Alright sweet. Its just that right now since i have a filter i would like to at least use it.. and then somewhere down the road i would get a better filter for a SW tank.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Brain fart here...PFS=pool filter sand? There are folks that use it with SW, it tends to be more silicate based sand...a little rougher on the sand sifting critters, but I haven't heard any true horror stories...You may have to deal with a little more diatom blooms, but nothing to worry too much about, I wouldn't think.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com