PH ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kempker1498

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the process of setting up a 100 gallon corner tank. I wanna put a couple of PH's in the tank, but not sure what size PH I should get. All the PH I have found are for 100 gallon, long, tank. Do I still use that PH, even though my tank isn't a long tank? The back wall length is 34.5 inches. Thanks for the help.

Andrew

With it being a corner tank I think 3 powerheads might do the trick. I'd probably go with koralia 750's or maybe if you want the extra flow the 1050's. maybe use 2 1050's on the ends and the 750 in the back corner.

Just tossing some ideas at ya. :-D

Sorry for the stupidity...but do you point your PH any certain direction? Also how do I figure out how many gallons per minute are going through my refugium? What is a good gpm? Thanks for the help Carey!

Well what is your overflow and return pump rated at? thats should give you a good idea. My overflow only can do 1200gph while my return pump does 1500 so I figure I'm at like 1000-1200 gph. I also have 2 koralia 1400's running in that tank too.

As far as flow, most people say a 10 x turnover rate is sufficient. I am a big fan of water circulation though. lol so I tend to go on the heavy side. hehe

You want enough flow so that there are NO dead spots on your sand and rock. I aim my ph's towards each other on either side, pointed up a bit and towards the glass. That gives me a chaotic flow all over my tank. I use purple up, which is very cloudy to see where my flow is going, neat trick I picked up on the forum. :) I only use the purple up when I change ph settings though. You can also try fish flake food, follow it around and make sure it doesnt land on the sand and stay there. ie: dead spot lol
You also want circualtion around your rocks as well so the back ph might be aimed towards the rocks but also towards the front so it can meet the other ph's as far as flow and you get a total mess of water flow. Which is good. :)

Hey Carey what do u think about me usings two 1050's pointing at each other from the side and a 1400 pointing towards the rocks from the top...u thing the 1400 will be too much flow for corals? Maybe just do three 1050's?

I think the 1400 would be a bit much. I have them on a 6 foot tank and they move alot of water. lol But 3 1050's pointed just right should do the trick.

Good luck! Hope to see the pictures when you post them! Circulation is one of the most important things involved with sw in my opinion, alot of people overlook how important it can be. :)

Yeah I am excited...the wife gave me the go ahead to spend the money :D! Now I just gotta figure out how to face them, the tank it shaped weird (like a piece of pie)! I like the idea of pointing them towards each other like you suggested.

I would mess around with them a bit, it's kinda like feeling it out once they are installed. You want water movement on the sandbed but you also don't want a sandstorm. You also want the surface agitation as well. Lots of things to consider but once they are in the tank you'll soon enough figure it out. :)

If it were me I would mount one in the back corner and one on each side, maybe all pointing towards the larger front glass. that would mean positioning the two side ones a bit further back on the sides a few inches down from the water level. I just re did the flow in my 125g and I'm always
tweaking it lol. It's kinda like rockscaping, you'll know when its right but may take 100 tries to get there. :)

Do you have a picture of your current setup? Might give me some inspiration. I just picture a slice of pizza with the point in the corner of two walls. hehe

Yep!! You are exactly right...it's pretty much a slice of pizza.

I haven't ordered the rock yet...

Attachments

• image-2629339754.jpg
    image-2629339754.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 78
Ahh I remember seeing this tank now. It's quite different. But it looks like you have a myriad of options as far as mounting those PH's. :)

Here's how I placed mine in my 54 gallon corner. Only difference is mine is bowfront.

Back
Top Bottom