Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-09-2004, 09:44 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Syndi31104
i just did about a 40% water change, my lfs told me to try that..so i'll update with that info..the nitrate and nitrite have shot up as well, so maybe that'll help that problem too?
just a whisper filter...my lfs hasn't informed me on anything else that i need to get for filtration, rocks or whatnot..so that's it.... is there still a way to lower nitrites? pH reading is a little better, nitrites remain awful...
The water change will definately help but that will only be a temporary stop gap without enough biological fitration for bacteria. The NH3 and NO2 will continue to be a problem until you augment the filtration system. Base rock or LR will definately be a plus. With the Whisper filter it is rather limited in what it can handle but be sure you rinse the filter media regularly in SW to keep it free of uneaten foods and detritus. Keep enough SW prepared ahead of time to allow for water changes on the fly if things get worse.

As far as the pH is concerned, if the Whisper is the only thing moving the water you may need to change a few things. For proper gas exchange in a marine tank you need about 10x GPH (500+ GPH in your case) water movement within the tank and a decent amount of rippling at the surface. When the water tension is broken at the surface, CO2 is released from the water and O2 is absorbed. The Whisper will be directing water downward as apposed to outward and not giving you much of an effect. If you combine that with the possiblility of a glass lid covering the tank, you have low water flow and trapped CO2 and will definately supress the pH a great deal.

The other thing to consider is bioload. Especially without sufficient biological filtration in place. Having 8 fish in a 55 gal tank unto itself is not a major problem but that will greatly depend on the species of fish. The general guideline for stocking waste producing animals is 1" per 5 gal of tank capacity. That can be easily worked within if higher depending on max adult size or feeding behavior. If the fish are larger messy eaters, it will limit the bioload further.

How old is the set up?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com