PH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If my magnesium, kh and calcium are good why would my ph be low? I have put ph buffer in but it only rises for an hr then slowly falls. I have done a water change and tested with api kit to be sure the probe is accurate and it is.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's not too low I'm not panicking I'm just trying to understand why it fluctuating. It's 7.85 on my probe at night but I backed it up with an api test. It's just weird cause last week it was 8.1 although I've made some changes to my tank. It's an open top. It does rise during the day but not much it's still in the same range. I added a bigger sump new stand and replaced my sand bed. But the pH had been the same before the sand bed was changed.

Do you mean it used to be 8.1 at night?

Btw, 7.8 is fine, and if it rises during the day that's good too.

Don't worry to much about ph unless your having extreme swings. As long as everything's happy let it be where it's at, ph buffers can cause other issues. Often times the KISS principal is best, and ph is a prime example IMO

Don't worry to much about ph unless your having extreme swings. As long as everything's happy let it be where it's at, ph buffers can cause other issues. Often times the KISS principal is best, and ph is a prime example IMO

+1 I used a buffer and regretted it -- it threw the Alk and Calcium way out of whack.

Yeah think I'm going to cut it back to just weekly water changes not chemicals. Think I'm getting to much in there my tests are reading good but i got feeling on this one. Weird cal kh mag on point ph won't stabilize over 7.86?

+1. pH buffer along with a few other "LFS, you gotta get this too stuff" is just a way of separating you from your money. Many of these products are very unnecessary.

I believe it I'm going to go back to instant ocean. I've been buying reef crystals pro salts but I think it's been adding more chemicals than I need right now. My cal alk and mag have risen since I switched to pro salts but I'm going to cut it down. Does phosphate or nitrate affect ph?

Problem solved opened windows in house today and ph is now 8.30

Back
Top Bottom