PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScubaBaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi my name is michael and i have a PH question. In the morning i have my first light come on about 630am at 830am my sec part of light lights come on and at 800pm my second light go off and at 930pm all lights go off and moon lights come on. i hope thats understandable :eek:.
this morning i wanted to test my water's ph. got a reading thats about 7.8 is that usual or is there something wrong ? by evening my ph is fine. but you would think that such a big change in PH would stress out my fish.
i have a 4x96 watt orbit PC 24hr Light.
thanks for your help
michael

Change in PH over the day is normal. If you have a sump try putting a light on it and keep it on all day. It will be great for growing beneficial algae as well as stabilizong the PH in you tank. If you don't have coral I would not worry about the swing too much.

Its normal for the pH to be lower in the morning. CO2 builds up overnight, and that creates carbonic acid, and acid's lower pH.
Once lights come on, the algae starts consuming the CO2, and pH rises. A more accurate pH time would be after 5-6 hours of the lights being on.

Back
Top Bottom