Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not sure about freshy ph, but it may very well be the same. To test the air oxygen, take an air pump and airstone and put it in a glass of tank water for an hour in the house, then take a reading. If the ph increases, then your problem is most likely water related. If it reads the same ph as the tank still, take another sample of water outside with your air pump and do the same hour long test. If the water outside increased in ph, then you've got an air problem.

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Tested the tanks. All 4 of the sw tanks are at about 7.8 and the FW cichlid tank is at 7.6 or even lower. :-(

Do I just leave the windows open one day a week to fix this? Does it have to be everyday? I also have the refugium lights on 24/7 in my cube and the 125g. Can this impact the ph as well as far as lowering it?

Old 07-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just like anything else, it'll take a few days to really figure out an air cycle. Try leaving the windows open for a day to refresh all the air in the house and then monitor how long it takes for your ph to drop. You'll then have an idea of how often to open/close windows.

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm testing some water now with the airpump. I'll post my results when I'm done.

I'm actually a tad worried about the FW cichlid tank, they've been pretty constant at 8.2 for months. I also haven't tested my tap water for ph yet, I believe mine is higher than normal as I recall checking it months ago.

Thanks very much for the information. i appreciate your time guys
Old 07-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Low or high ph's won't really do any unfixable harm to your fish, its the swings that can kill. Try to get a min/max over the next day or so. If its not too drastic, I really wouldn't worry about it too much, but if its .5 or over, then we need to find a solution
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's clearly a co2 issue within the house. The outside test had the ph backup to about 8.2, exact same water sample too. So i need to work on that.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ahh I think you just uncovered the only benefit to NOT having central air...I always have the windows open and fans going ....just get some o2 tanks and crack them open a bit...thatll help lol

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com