PH and surface agitation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just did a ph test on my 125g and find that its dropped from 8.3 ish to about 7.8. :-(

Isn't there a direct correlation between surface agitation and ph levels? I have intense surface movement and am also keeping my refugium light on 24/7 now. Could that have something to do with the drop in ph? I can't pinpoint when the ph dropped, had to be in the last few days since I test usually once a week.

Any thoughts or ideas guys?

Thanks very much!!

Yeah hopefully your alkalinity is higher, low buffers are a common cause of ph swings good luck:)

Tested out at 8.9. So it's low but not horrific. I don't dose anything now so now I'm wondering if I should start. I don't use any ph regulators or buffers either.

Is this a sign that my corals are using up the nutrients in the water too quickly?

I couldn't give you an honest answer as to if your corals are or aren't using them up. But I'd prob try to stay away from dosing for it. It'll more than likely just de-stabilize it even more. Perhaps you could test your rodi water and see what ph you get, naturally if its higher than your tank, pwc's will take care of it, if its lower, well then there's an issue:(

I didn't even think about it, I did a large pwc yesterday. That might have done it.
I'll go see if I have any water left and test that. If I didn't use it all up. I would be testing saltwater correct? Or just regular ro/di water?

Not just the water, but how is the air circulation in your home? If your running A/C all the time and not opening any windows, the air in your house may have a lower O2 content, thus causing your PH to drop.

I do run the a/c 24/7 and don't have much open window time. i was thinking that may have something to do with it as well.

I'm gonna test my other tanks for their ph and see if its the same story. Does freshwater work the same way as far as ph?

I'm not sure about freshy ph, but it may very well be the same. To test the air oxygen, take an air pump and airstone and put it in a glass of tank water for an hour in the house, then take a reading. If the ph increases, then your problem is most likely water related. If it reads the same ph as the tank still, take another sample of water outside with your air pump and do the same hour long test. If the water outside increased in ph, then you've got an air problem.

Tested the tanks. All 4 of the sw tanks are at about 7.8 and the FW cichlid tank is at 7.6 or even lower. :-(

Do I just leave the windows open one day a week to fix this? Does it have to be everyday? I also have the refugium lights on 24/7 in my cube and the 125g. Can this impact the ph as well as far as lowering it?

Just like anything else, it'll take a few days to really figure out an air cycle. Try leaving the windows open for a day to refresh all the air in the house and then monitor how long it takes for your ph to drop. You'll then have an idea of how often to open/close windows.

I'm testing some water now with the airpump. I'll post my results when I'm done.

I'm actually a tad worried about the FW cichlid tank, they've been pretty constant at 8.2 for months. I also haven't tested my tap water for ph yet, I believe mine is higher than normal as I recall checking it months ago.

Thanks very much for the information. i appreciate your time guys

Low or high ph's won't really do any unfixable harm to your fish, its the swings that can kill. Try to get a min/max over the next day or so. If its not too drastic, I really wouldn't worry about it too much, but if its .5 or over, then we need to find a solution

It's clearly a co2 issue within the house. The outside test had the ph backup to about 8.2, exact same water sample too. So i need to work on that.

Ahh I think you just uncovered the only benefit to NOT having central air...I always have the windows open and fans going ....just get some o2 tanks and crack them open a bit...thatll help lol

Back
Top Bottom