Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

BTW, I do have lots of salt, but I don't have a lid, there is lots of evapouration, and I had the top powerhead really high to cause TONS of agitation. I just sunk it a few inches over the weekend because it was driving us nuts when we were trying to watch a movie. I'll be patient and see how it goes for the next week or so. When should I get really worried? As in, how far can it drop before rushing to do a 70-80% pwc?

Hey Carey, you've really helped me along the way, thanks for that! I really appreciate it!

Old 12-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Since youre still cycling I wouldnt worry about it at all. Theres nothing living in the tank yet and like I said, the salt mix should fix any low ph.

You know the top off with regular water right, and not salt water? I would keep the water level where it should be so top off when you need to. It will affect salinity if you dont, it doesnt matter very much right now but it will.

If you were gonna change filters I would say do it like you do in freshwater, run both of them at the same time or move the media from this one to the one you will be adding. theres beneficial bacteria in there as well as your rocks and since youre just beginning I would want as much BB as you can get.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Since youre still cycling I wouldnt worry about it at all. Theres nothing living in the tank yet and like I said, the salt mix should fix any low ph.

You know the top off with regular water right, and not salt water? I would keep the water level where it should be so top off when you need to. It will affect salinity if you dont, it doesnt matter very much right now but it will.

If you were gonna change filters I would say do it like you do in freshwater, run both of them at the same time or move the media from this one to the one you will be adding. theres beneficial bacteria in there as well as your rocks and since youre just beginning I would want as much BB as you can get.
I didn't realise that I even needed a filter on such a small tank. Everyone that I have spoken to regarding it have said that I don't need a filter. I was just planning on moving the filter to a new tank to start it cycling for a QT. I guess I can always get a new one, run them both and then throw the old one into the new tank after a few weeks. I won't need a QT for at least a month or more after I get my first tank mates in there.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The hang on filter is good so that you can get particulate matter that floats around the tank and if you need to run carbon or GFO (granular ferric oxide) for phosphates. I run a hang on back in my 20g and a canister for my 55g still. Never a bad idea.

You can get a cheapo sponge type filter for you qt or even a small aquaclear, they are cheap enough.

Good move planning on a qt tank too, alot of people don't until something happens so you are one step ahead.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yeah, I did poor planning and killed alot of things without having a QT. Then when I set it up and had one of my old filters from my old freshwater setups on it I blew the pumps out of TWO marineland biowheels... so it stepped up to the challenge. I have yet to go and get a new biowheel and the old carbon filter is going strong. Waiting on my pump to arrive in the mail and I will be setting up my sump.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'd like to get a sump going on this one with a HOB overflow and then once I go bigger (and we all know we will) drill it in. Because my tank is so small now, I don't necessarily NEED it, but it's on my wish list for sure.

My pH came up a little bit (.4) from yesterday, so that's a good sign. Hopefully it will keep raising, although, I'm just going to worry about my No2, No3, ammonia, and salinity for now. BTW I've heard a broad range...what do you keep your salinity at?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I keep mine at 1.0255, just a hair under 1.026 on my refractometer.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Same here - between 1.025-1.026
Old 12-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have mine at 1.026 now, so that should be fine right?

What about calcium? For a reef, or going to be a reef after the 3-6 months that it needs to be established.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I am battling calcium and alkalinity right now, but I aim for 450 on calc and 8-10 dkh for alkalinity. magensium at about 1300 give or take 50....

Tags
ph help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com