Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

pH Help Please

Ok, so I hit mid cycle this weekend, nirtites were dropping, nitrates are still climbing. My pH has always been constant @ 7.4. I've been checking levels every day, and spiking my ammonia. My bacteria was chewing through my ammonia like crazy, I was spiking to 4 at night and by the next evening it would be 0 again. I did a 50%I checking right now and my pH water change on Saturday and everything has been fine. I just checked now and the nirtrites are the same, nitrates are going up (160) and my pH has dropped to 7. Should I be paniced? Help please and suggestions of what I can do to bring it up. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nobody?

Old 12-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

hope this helps

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
Old 12-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDfan View Post
I read that, it didn't help much. I've read in other areas that pH doesn't have to be worried about until the Nitrites are 0; Nitrates are stable and ammonia are 0. What do you guys think of this?

I'm not sure if I should do another 50% pwc or if I should wait, or even dose it with something to bring up the pH.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldnt dose the tank with anything just yet. The ph isnt really important while you are cycling. Do you have proper circulation in the tank? it;s odd to see such a low ph..... After you finish cycling when you do your big water change before adding fish that should adjust your ph. the salt mix will or should get your ph where it should be. Also, if you have powerheads try pointing them at the water surface so you have surface agitation, that also helps raise ph.

Good luck
Old 12-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I wouldnt dose the tank with anything just yet. The ph isnt really important while you are cycling. Do you have proper circulation in the tank? it;s odd to see such a low ph..... After you finish cycling when you do your big water change before adding fish that should adjust your ph. the salt mix will or should get your ph where it should be. Also, if you have powerheads try pointing them at the water surface so you have surface agitation, that also helps raise ph.

Good luck
I have two powerheads and the filter in there now, the water level is a little lower so the water falling from the filter can create bubbles. Should I throw the air pump on?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

like an air pump with a stone? No, it will just cause massive salt creep over your tank. You might wanna top off the tank, the air bubbles from the filter will do the same and have no positive effect that I can see.

How are your powerheads aimed and are they on?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
like an air pump with a stone? No, it will just cause massive salt creep over your tank. You might wanna top off the tank, the air bubbles from the filter will do the same and have no positive effect that I can see.

How are your powerheads aimed and are they on?
The are in diagonal corners, one in the top left corner and the other in the bottom right corner. The one at the top is aimed up, but maybe I'll aim is further upwards to cause more agitation.

What is a salt creep?

I'm a little concerned because if this is happening now with no fish, I was planning on taking out the filter when I got fish, or shortly before, will this cause a big problem?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Salt creep will be the salt that solidifies on your tank lids, lights and hoses, it's caused by splashing of the salt water. Not tragic but for sure messy lol

I keep my powerheads in all my tanks pointed upwards a bit and about halfway up on either side of the tank.

I would keep the mechanical filter running, why would you want to remove it?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Salt creep will be the salt that solidifies on your tank lids, lights and hoses, it's caused by splashing of the salt water. Not tragic but for sure messy lol

I keep my powerheads in all my tanks pointed upwards a bit and about halfway up on either side of the tank.

I would keep the mechanical filter running, why would you want to remove it?
Because it's just a 35 gallon and not needed. I have 3.5-4 inches of carbis sea substrate and lots of live rock. Plus, I need another one because it's soooo noisey!

Tags
ph help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com