PH low Gravity High

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so my Ammonia levels are at 0 or 0.2 cant really tell with the test kit I am using and Nitrites are at Zero

Tank has been up about 6 weeks,

But my PH is only 7.8 and my Gravity is 1.028

I made a post about my Gracity issue before and it was suggested I add RO non salt water which I have.

Not sure what the best way to tackle this and looking for suggestions

How to Raise the PH level while lowering the Gravity

Checked the temp its stable

I have three fish (two clowns and a Cardinal and Cleaner shrimp)

Continue with water changes??

Chemical PH adder?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is this a hard question? or a noob question?

16 views and no responses?

A little impatient today, eh?

Lowering gravity and raising pH at the same time is a tough one. Are you measuring your gravity with a refractometer? If using a swing arm hydrometer, then you should probably invest in a refractometer to make sure what your gravity truly is.

But assuming your SG is really 1.028, I would probably just do some water changes with lower than normal specific gravity water. You can calculate out the expected "after" SG based on your PWC water and the volume you change. For example, say you're changing out 20% using 1.022 then your final SG would be...

(0.80 * 1.028 ) + (0.20 * 1.022 ) = 1.0268

... where the "0.20" is the percent you're changing and the "1.022" is the PWC water salinity. I wouldn't drop more than 0.001 in specific gravity per change... preferable half of that.

If you're trying to keep your pH from dropping any more, then doing PWC with more dilute salt water than your target is probably best. That way you get some buffers in the water. Once you get to your target salinity, then you can see where you're at with the pH and go from there.

Yea a bit sensitive today works kicking my ***, and the views with no reply is a bit of a internet forums pet peeve of mine lol.

Thanks for the reply your a gentleman and a scholar.

:)

Will do some more water changes with the store made 1.022

Will do some more water changes with the store made 1.022

You really need to verify salinities when doing stuff like this. I have a hunch you don't have a refractometer? If you don't, I wouldn't start changing things until you know darn sure what your salinity really is.

lol

On some sites as you wrote that checking the price on replacing my Ghetto 17.99 swing arm hydrometer

Back
Top Bottom