Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-08-2004, 10:40 AM   #1

PH problem - Help

For some reason since I upgraded from a 55 to a 125 gal tank I can't seem to get my ph up to an exceptable level
My ph always stayed around 8.0 / 8.2 now It seems to drop as low as 7.4 / 7.6 which scares me and I already lost a fish, I've used the kent ph buffer in my 55 and im out so today i'm thinking of getting some more and trying it out unless some one cna give me a better solution which I would be more then happy to except as I don't know what to do
Old 09-08-2004, 11:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What are your ALK and Calc levels?

Old 09-08-2004, 11:53 AM   #3

This will sound stupid but I never checked, no one ever told me, I was just checking ph-nitrites-nitrates-ammonia
Old 09-08-2004, 12:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alk and pH are closely inter-related, and as I understand, Ca plays a role in helping Alk stay stable too.

Also, weird variations between alk, pH and Ca can indicate Mg problems.

are you using tap water or R/O in the tank?
Old 09-08-2004, 01:09 PM   #5

I use ro water
Old 09-08-2004, 01:11 PM   #6

What would be the best way to get ph up, I added some Kent ph buffer this morning, from what Im reading it shoud resolve all of what your talking about if it works
Old 09-08-2004, 01:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Salt mix contains buffers.. how much/often do you do water changes?

Also, how much LR in the tank? And do you have a carbonate based substrate?

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:27 PM   #8

I have aprx 100/125 lbs of live rock and I do a 10 gal water change per week, its easy for me to do it that way vs once a month changing 31 gal at a time
I have live sand for the bottom
Old 09-08-2004, 03:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

PH is made up of ALK and Ca. The ALK is like a storage system for Ca. When you dose Ca will drain from the "ALK storage" if you don't buffer the ALK drops and as a result your PH drops. Sorry for the strage explanation, but it's kind of a weird subject. This would also hold true if you don't dose Ca and you have a Ca drain, This drain can be anything that uses Ca mostly corals, but it could also be Snails,Coraline Alage growing on rocks etc.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:14 PM   #10

speaking of that since the upgrade and the re cycle of my tank I've been getting allot of the brown allege but I do clean it as soon as I see it, it is all over the live rock though, someone at the pet store mentioned could be from lack of 02 like maybe I'm not venting enough of the carbon dioxiod but then again all the stores tell you something different, one guy is telling me a skimmer will resolve that, not sure I believe that or not
I mean I know a skimmer would be a good thing to have but I don't do corals just fish and live rock ,I am a fanatic with my tank, any left over food or fish waste I net out asap and for the most part I keep the tank pretty clean

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com