Ph question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rscomia

Aquarium Advice Addict
I come home from work today and noticed my LTA was very small and looked like it was trying to hide the only thing that tested out of the norm was my ph It was at 8.8 now this evening it is back out and my ph is testing at a 7.4 is it possible for ph to swing this much and if so what would cause it?

My guess would be a testing error. What brand test kit are you using and how old is it?
Unless you are dumping in a bunch of buffers, that big of a swing usually doesn't happen. The high pH can be caused by adding too much sodium carbonate (which helps raise alk) or too much calcium hydroxide (which helps raise calcium and alk) or a less common event would be a lack of co2 in the surrounding air.
Usually low pH is usually caused by low alk or a high co2 level in the surrounding air.

I am using a api drip test and its only a few months old Im not using any buffers although I did pick up some kalk and will eventually be using it What would cause high co2 levels in the surrounding air not enough circulation in the house?

I have extrem water surface agitation and still read low ph at times. I have been adding dkh buffer weekly and it has helped the ph and the alkalinity. I have to say I am not happy at all about dosing anything and may stop and see what happens. i also am airing out my house once a week with the windows and doors open and the fans running. I have seen my oh stabilize kinda, not sure if its the buffer or the air.

What would cause high co2 levels in the surrounding air
High co2 can be from the house not having any windows opened to let in fresh air. When we breathe, we exhale co2.

Well I do have my air on and usually a door is only open long enough to walk in or out Should I believe the lower reading or the higher reading I have never had my ph test that low but I checked it twice and got the same 7.4 reading? what is your opinion on kalkwasser? I have never used it before

Ph question again?

Yesterday after checking my ph I noticed a major change in it from 8.8 to 7.4 I thought this might have been from a bad test kit so I have gotten another one and have checked multiple times today and it started off low this morning and is back to 8.8 now. Can low alk be causeing this and is a kalk buffer the answer to maintain a stable ph?

Can low alk be causeing this and is a kalk buffer the answer to maintain a stable ph?
In your case, no and no....and the reason is if you had low alk you shouldn't see your pH that high and if you add kalk it will elevate your pH. I still think it's a testing error in that maybe you aren't reading the result properly. I never heard of there being that huge of a swing in pH.
Here's a few articles you should read, but I'm not sure if they will help.
Low pH: Causes and Cures by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
High pH: Causes and Cures by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 3: pH
A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I merged your 2 threads since both are the same topic and same issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the articles I have read a couple them before I just know something is wrong because my anemone seems to hide during the day and is out like normal at night This seems to be the only thing I can find Should I be looking for something else?

Keep your lights off for a day or 2. It won't hurt anything. See if there is a change in pH or how the anemone acts.

What are your calcium, alk and mag parameters?

I know my calcium is low compared to what it checked a week ago it was around 400 then when I checked it today it was around 320 I do not have a way of checking alk and mag The reason I was asking and wondering about kalk is my lfs was quick to tell me what my problem was and what would fix it but they didnt have a way of checking them either so maybe they just wanted to sell me something I am a firm believer if you cant check for a problem you shouldnt be trying to fix it I am just lost cause I know anemone prefer the light over darkness and I dont want this problem to be something leading to a bigger one

Also if my ph was swinging that much wouldnt it put my fish in ph shock? My fish are still very active and healthy looking

have you checked your alkalinity, that also has a direct effect on PH levels and with poor alkalinity it will be haqrd to maintain a steady PH

Before you start guessing what your problems might be, I suggest getting some good, accurate test kits. If you can't get them locally, look online and get Salifert brand test kits for pH, alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. They are way better and way more accurate than API, but they also cost more. It's best to have an accurate reading of your parameters before you start messing with your water chemistry.

Im trying not to guess Im trying to see which direction I should take once I can get my hands on a more accurate test Still being a rookie I need every bit of advice I can get

Back
Top Bottom