PH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
i tested my water today (with lights on)and my PH dropped quite a bit. two days ago it was 8.2 now it is 7.8. whats the deal.

i did add 40# of live rock yesterdaywould that do it?

my parameters:

ammonia .25
nitrite 0
nitrate 5

S.G 1.026
temp 80 degrees

let me know what you think. should i go buy a ph buffer?

thanks

mark

i tested my water today (with lights on)and my PH dropped quite a bit. two days ago it was 8.2 now it is 7.8.

How long had the lights been on? And what time was the ph checked before? To get an honest feeling of whether your ph is dropping, you need to check it at the same time every day, best time is in the latter half of the light cycle. It will be lower during the first half.

40 lb of LR could certainly depress the ph a bit, there is bound to be a little die off and the biological processes to clean that up will produce acid and co2.

I wouldn't bother with the buffer, just do a healthy water change and keep your eye on that ammonia and nitrite.

Is this the X-High tank you are just starting? If so, and it is cycling, I wouldn't worry about the pH as of yet. During a cycle it will swing around and around.

what is a safe parameter of PH in a reef system?

Well NSW has a pH of about 8.3. However, it is normal for our tank pH to swing around a bit throughout the day as the lights turn off and come on. For example, my pH in the morning is around 7.9. Before the lights turn off in the evening, it has gone up to around 8.3-8.4.

pecan2phat said:
Based on the some reference material by Fenner, he states that the acceptable pH range is 7.8 to 8.5
Depending on the time of day tested. Having a ph near or below 8.0 at mid photo period or later is not healthy.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom