ph Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kurt_Nelson said:
I use the AP test for calcium also
How do you like the AP CA test? I've used both the red sea and Salifert test kits and they both work fairly well but cost 2-3 times as much. I have used AP for the basic tests for 15+ years and have always been happy but until this year wasn't even aware they sold a test kit for CA.

A lower ph reading the first couple of months is fairly normal for new tanks IME
I agree. There is still a lot going on in a tank after only 8 weeks- even if the nitrogen cycle is complete. That is why more sensitive animals, like anemones and SPS coral, are not recommended for tanks that are not "mature". That can take as long as a year, but in most cases 6-10 months is sufficient. HTH

tecwzrd said:
Kurt_Nelson said:
I use the AP test for calcium also
How do you like the AP CA test? I've used both the red sea and Salifert test kits and they both work fairly well but cost 2-3 times as much. I have used AP for the basic tests for 15+ years and have always been happy but until this year wasn't even aware they sold a test kit for CA.

AP test kits seem to be the easiest thing for me to find in local fish stores, and as you noted, a lot cheaper than the "better" ones. I liked the ease of use of the basic AP tests, so I bought their Ca test when I needed to start testing for it. I don't have anything to compare it against, but I'll buy it again. 10 drops of bottle 1, shake, then start dropping bottle 2 and count your drops - 20ppm per drop.

Only complaint is that the color change from pinkish to blue isn't very dramatic. You get a purple phase one drop before "true" blue, but their "blue" takes some getting used to. Like most tests, once you know what color you're looking for, it's no problem. For that reason, I've started doing my tests in the same room under the same lights all the time. Colors under 240W of incandescent look a lot different than 240W of flourescent.

Back to the original poster... this may seem dumb, but have you checked your electronic pH meter against a cheapo liquid drop test like AP? If it was me, I'd want a "second opinion" before trusting the results of something that can go in and out of calibration at the drop of a hat. Granted, you can be more accurate with an electronic, but the "compare the color" tests are pretty repeatable and consistent.

Yes I have checked with 2 different ph kits. All give the same result. As of today ph is now 8.0 in the morning and 8.2 at night. After 20% pwc kh is down to 12 dkh and calcium is 360 (18 drops).

Back
Top Bottom