PH test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maiceman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I'm new to this board and somewhat new to reef keeping. The question I have is what PH test kit do you reccomend? I have a Hagen kit and the color scale seems very difficult to make level determinations on. Although I do not have an alkalinity kit yet all of my other tests lean towards high water quality yet my PH seems to be off the scale high- above 8.5. I think this is a false reading and wondered if anyone has any suggestions. The tank is 4 weeks old, 72 gallons, has 45 lbs of LR and a 4 inch Southdown sand bed in it.

If your tank is still cycling then your PH and many other readings coudl be all wacko.

On to the ?

I like seachem kits. You can get the seachem basic kit that includes ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and alk for like $25 online I think.

What I like about these kits is that they include a base solution to test your kit and see if the results are accuate as the base solution should return a specific result.

See our products reviews section for additional reviews on other kits.

Add a review of your kit if you wish.

www.aquariumadvice.com/showreview.php --> also on the main page under Product and Retailer Reviews.

Thanks for the info, I will check out the seachem test kits. :)

The tank has completed the cycle, however small the spike was. I did not start testing PH or calcium untill this week.

Readings are

Nitrite = 0
Ammonia = < .25
Nitrate = 0
Calcium = 380-400 dosing 295ml/hr
PH > 8.5 test reads a purple color on a green to blue scale.

It could quite possibly be a low range kit your using meant for the lower ph of F/W. I would look around and see which high range kits have a scale with distinct differeces. I use the salifert kit and while their kits are excellent, I'm not hapy with the ph kit. I would prefer a better color scale. The fact is most high range ph kits will work just fine, so make sure you get one that is easy for you to use.

Yeah, I thought that might be the problem also but I made sure it was the high range kit. I guess time and the new kit I just ordered from seachem will tell.

Update:

PH continues to rise and was unmeasurable yesterday. I changed my kalcwasser over to freshwater dosing only and 24 hours later my PH is at 8.5. Any suggestions?

You are either dosing too much Kalk or too fast. Do you have any skeleton building corals in the tank? Any CA consumers, besides the LR? If not, there is no need to dose kalk at this point and time. I actually cannot dose alot of kalk, I mix mine at about 1/16 tsp per gallon, otherwise the CA and ALK raises too high. Do not use Kalk for a few days and see what the readings are then.

Looks like I am holding at about 8.5 now and all inhabitants are much happier. Pulsing Xenia has opened back up and has good color. Finger Leather is shedding and has better color also. Flame Angel is eating constantly and is more active.

I am planning on monitoring the PH closely for the next week and then slowly introduce CA again but at low levels. I am planning on adding frog spawn and green star polyps in about a week and a half. Thanks for the help & info.

Back
Top Bottom