Ph wont go up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike24

Aquarium Advice Regular
My water parameters

Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Ph - 8.0

I try dosing my tank using the part 1 and 2 oceans bleand alk and calcium... When i went to my lfs to check my calcium its 450-480... They say my DKH is little low thats why my ph is not going up... So i start dosing just the part 2 which is alk/ph balanced but i dont know if its working not working or working slowly to raise the ph up...my reading is still at 8.0, i dose my tank 9ml every other day... Is it too much or not enough.. And i havent check my magnessium yet... TIA

There is nothing wrong with keeping your pH at 8. How low is your alk? I would suggest not trying to chase your pH by dosing. Whatever you dose to try to raise pH will also raise your alk.

I havent check my alk yet... But i am going to lfs today to check my alk, 8.0 is ok to keep some good corals? Im new to saltwater tank... And what do you mean by surface agitation? Is it water circulation? If its the water circulation im using oceanic water circulation for biocube up to gallon tank... My tanks is 30g.. Thanks

That's a bit on the low side actually. 8-12 is the acceptable range, but up towards 10-12 would make me happy.
By surface agitation I mean Is the surface somewhat turbulent? If it's very still, I would look to aiming a power head upwards to break the surface. Gas exchange, or lack of, is a common reason why people have low PH. And I'm not saying your Ph is low. I'm in agreement with Larry. Consistency is what's important. If you can keep it at a steady 8, I don't see any problem with it.

Oceanic water circulation? Are you referring to a protein skimmer? That's not circulation, but it does oxygenate the water.

The oceanic thing that i have is the one with fan and i point it facing up the water surface its kinda making a wave or movement to the water surface, and my return from my canister filter i dd the same thing i set it near the water surface and my ph its stable at 8.0 pH never go down and never go up... Im sorry im just new to this set up... Thanks

Sorry.. I meant my pH is stable at 8.0 i havent check my dkh, magnessium, alk, but yeah my pH is stable at 8.0... Thanks for all the info you guys given me... Thanks

Keeping the KH up will reduce PH swings amd that's what you want, to reduce any swings. Stable is the key element here. Ph of 8 is acceptable,

I too like to keep my DKH a little on the higher side. I've always found that letting it drop below 8 invites algae growth, that in turn will result in humic acid being produced and further complications.

But that's just personal experience.

Back
Top Bottom