Phew! what stinks!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ever since my anemone got sucked into the filter (monday) ive had my canister filter off. The anemone is doing awsome. i left off the filter because it wouldnt move away from the suck hose. so tonight i moved it over to other side of tank and turned on the canister filter (it's and ehiem) and like a 10 secs later i smell a grotesk stench coming from the water (kinda like really really old salt water and some undescribable smell). 5 minuets later i can smell the stench in the entire room! I sleep in that room also, lol. Anyone kno why it would smell so bad? mabye becasue of part of the anemone that was sucked in?

Well, since Monday you've had a canister filter full of various wastes sitting with no water movement....this would explain your smell. It also cannot be that great to turn it back online into your display. I would do a few water tests just to be sure things haven't gotten a bit out of whack.

Did you get any back wash of air when you turned it off? Sometimes you get old stale air in the filter and when you turn it off it, you get a small reverse flow and that old pong air comes out. I had it happen to me and it stinks, though, if you have bits of old anemone in the filter perhaps its just the stench of that coming out?

that would be lethal hydrogen sulphide. it's formed in anaerobic environments. ie. a canister full of stagnant water.

well im still here. then again my canister filter is always on.

Back
Top Bottom