Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-05-2005, 07:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Phosphate Exporter

This is similar to my previous post but was wondering if anyone has ever tried using a phosphate exporting agent that works in conjunction with a skimmer? The one I was looking at is:

"Korallin PO4 minues phosphate exporter"

I currently use RO/DI water but are trying to battle a cyano problem and looking to get rid of phosphates. I don't know what my phos values are now but I'm ordering the test kit.

72gal bowfront, 5gal sump, 45lbs LR, 260watt PC (2-65watt actinics, 2-65watt 10,000k), AquaC Urchin Pro skimmer, 2 Maxi-jet 1200 ph's.
ctmedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
I've heard that this product drives down Alkalinity (and related pH) so make sure you are not low in either of these ahead of time.

Additionally, use this product on the weekend because the white dust it creates needs to be removed from the skimmer on a regular basis. Otherwise, the P coated dust simply lands in the tank where it can be re-released.

MantisFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Have you looked at phosban reactors? I have one and love it... works great.
Once you get the test kits you will know how bad the problem is.
Test your ro/di water also, if the Di is going bad it can let things pass through.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
If you already are using an RO/DI unit then you might want to check your water turnaround.

What is the turn rate on your tank? I see you have a couple of powerheads, having at least a 1 water turnaround inside your tank might help with cyano. Is the algae all around your tank? Or is it in some spots? If in some spots, then you might have low water flowing there or even dead spots where cyano thrives...

Using agents to reduce PO4 is ok but it would be better to find the root of the problem in the first place.

Homero Cuellar
hcuellart is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com