Phosphate test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissajk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I tested my phosphates with a red sea test kit. My phosphates were 0.08
I wanted to know if this is an ok level?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It isn't bad! My reef tank fluctuates between .05 and .03. One of the 'magic' numbers that I've read about is people aiming for .03...lower than that and there seem to be issues.

Agreed, reading should be between .05-.03
But your reading isn't going to hurt anything, .10 and I'd start running for the hills though.

I have a phosphate reactor and I'm running rowa. It's been a month since I changed the rowa. I guess it's time to put fresh rowa in? I have another question off the subject. Tonight when my aquarium lights were off I got a flashlight and saw a bug on my rocks good or bad?

Bug was probably a POD, not to worry, those are the good guys.
As far as the ROWA, yes, it all depends on how much phosphate you have in the system, your ROWA will fill up quite quickly. You'll have to watch the numbes close, at first you will see the numbers drop with a fresh batch, then it will slow down, then stop, you need to change at this point because its exhausted.

Thanks for the help. Is there a better phosphate media to use. I was told that the rowa was the best because it doesn't release phosphates back into the water.

Do they usually last for about a month? Also do you clean tha back wall of your aquarium? Or do you let the coraline alge grow on the back wall?

The length of which it lasts all depends on how much phosphate your throwing into the tank, and how much it has to absorb. Time frame is going to be different for eveyone.
I don't clean the back of my tank.

Back
Top Bottom